Enco RF-30 Mill
From Hive13 Wiki
|Enco RF-30 Mill|
|List of All Documented Equipment|
|Make/Model: Enco 105-1110 (google)|
|Arrival Date: 03/2012|
|Does it work?: yes|
|Certification Needed?: yes|
Paul purchased this mill from an auction for $625. It was owned and operated by a retired electrical engineer who worked at a machine shop, prior history is unknown.
- Paul (Project Leader)
- Add your name to the list if you want to participate
As of 4/17/2012 I am marking the "Project" part of this piece of equipment as Complete. While there is still some more work to do related to the mill, the mill itself is operational.
- Rack has been installed and works.
- Jim has donated a selection of end mills for use with the Milling Machine
- Major TODO at this point is to learn how to use it.
Explanation of status
A replacement rack was purchased from Enco for $72 (shipping included), it was installed by Paul & his father.
- Read mill manual
- Find a toolbox for mill accessories (End mills, callipers, etc)
- Mount rack for collets.
- Figure out the tool maintenance requirements to keep it running.
The rack is the linear gear that helps the operator easily raise and lower the head of the Mill. See the Wikipedia article for more information. Looks like some parts might be available for purchase directly from Enco if we contact their parts number or email them directly. More information on: http://www.use-enco.com/cgi/inpage?pmpage=machinery/manuals.htm
The important quote from that page:
NOTE: Machinery parts are NOT available online. Please contact our Technical and Parts Representatives at 1-800-USE-ENCO or email your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our representatives are available Monday - Friday, 8am-8pm Eastern Time.—Enco Repo, Enco Page
Update: Rack was indeed available from Enco, purchased for $72 (shipping included). Rack was installed by Paul & his father.
The endmills are the cutting tools for the milling machine. Wikipedia has a page for these as well. I was able to find a basic set on Enco's website, 20 endmills for $90 which is pretty cheap, the link is at bottom of page.
Jim has donated a variety of end mills in excellent condition. Paul's father donated a varied selection of end mills in varied condition. We should have enough to get started learning how to properly use the mill.
- Coolant system w/ filter & return
- Rotary table
Manuals & Guides
- (PDF Link) Model RF-30 105-1110 Instruction Manual
- Mini Mill Users Guide
- "Traming" a mill drill
- Motherload of RF-30 Mill Drill guides
- (PDF Link) Interesting book on how to use a milling machine
- The Machinists Handbook
- A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines (pub 1919)
- Archive.org search for Milling Machine books