August 18, 2009
From Hive13 Wiki
|Previous Meeting: August 11, 2009||Meeting Procedure||Next Meeting: August 25, 2009|
Time: 7:00 PM
Status Updates / Old Business
- Insurance: Vendy || Fuzz || Jim || Erik
- Network: Vendy
- Grand Opening: Kibitz
- Stove/oven: Kibitz
- Pop Machine: Kibitz || PlayerTwo
- MakerBot: Dave
- Form 1023 Draft: Dave
- TODO List: Dave
- Mendelson's Trip: Dave
- Space Cleanup - Donations: Craig
- Sketchduino - Joe
Items to be Voted on
Assigning Next Actions
Demo of Sketchduino from Joe
- software takes 400x300 bmp, creates a big array
- creates a line drawing instructions out of that array
- send the instructions to the steppers
- two types of ways to draw - more linear or more random
- arduino buffers the instructions and sends them to steppers
- built a website, sells permanent etch-a-sketched images
- flexible couplers between steppers and etch-a-sketch knobs
- screen is about 800x600 "pulses", convert into 400x300 "pixels"
- input a variable to compensate for the play in the knobs, different for each etch-a-sketch
- demo: hive13 logo! :)
Jim proposal: egg bots
- bots that draw on eggs
- we could make like a product kit similar to makerbot
- we could do like educational "camp" thing in the summer with kids to draw on eggs
- Jim: i can lead it and i'd like to get others involved
- maybe even Rob can help us understand projections
- lots of different variables to consider. exciting!
- official egg-bot meeting: next week on tuesday
- work on making a project template on the wiki
- we would all like to see multiple projects ongoing
- Joe: maybe we could even be a "Center of Excellent"
insurance - fuzz
- we have two quotes
- something around $650 and something around $900
- dave: how will we decide which one is better?
- apples to apples
- what is covered?
- fuzz: would a major claim kill our org?
- jim: are we required to have insurance by our lease? yes.
- chris: liability may be more important than property right now
- craig: but we will be getting nicer stuff as we go
- fuzz: we may need to go back in and adjust one or the other so we can compare
- kibitz: time and energy is non-neglible
- chris went to the legal concerns for hackerspaces panel at defcon and liability was the most important thing
- dave: last week we said we wanted it done before the party
- jim: do we have the cash to pay the first premium? answer: sort of.
- craig: we can make it happen, it will be tight.
- jim: by next tuesday we will have an apples to apples comparison
- craig: if we could pay monthly that would be nice
- did the mixer help? sort of, not really
- fuzz: todo item: invite other groups, etc
network - vendy
- all major cable runs done
- still need to terminate ends, config rack
- cable management, etc
- whenever eric is available it will get done
- fuzz brought a bunch of misc cable that is up for grabs
internet - craig
- still waiting on TW. (boo)
- vendy: let us know when it's here
- can we call and complain?
- chris: give me contact, i will try to pull strings...
grand opening - kibitz
- invite out new neighbors to the party
- pr, see above... not getting done?
- dave: it's time to start taking names
- fuzz will bring keg of beer
- chris will bring macaroni
- craig: maybe try and get everyone to do at least one thing
- kibitz: this thursday: a clean up / set up day
- chris: i have an armored laptop for silent auction
- maybe we need like a street team
- fuzz will make a 8.5x11 poster
- kibitz: collection of cash?
- do we need more lock-boxes? aprons?
- we need official money taking designated people
stove / oven / pop machine
- truck is offline right now
- stuff will get here when it is back and working
makerbot - dave
form 1023 draft
- this should be the place you look if you are looking for something to do
- this ought to tie in with the "projects template" etc - organizing work
- shelving - is anyone tasked with this? spend the $100 we budgeted?
space clean up - craig
- we need to go through and see what we can get rid of
- we need to start the deadline system
- escalating warnings
- tape off an area? the dead area
- craig: make an actual inventory for starters to tell people what is here that is going
- one month from now = first deadline
- we have no workbench - we need shelves bad!
- trip is this saturday
- see mailing list
- jim - organize eggbot team
- jim & fuzz - compare insurance apples to apples, post to mailing list
- fuzz - send invites to other local clubs, etc.
- vendy - wrap up networking cable management along with eric the cabling ninja when he is available
- craig & chris - work on getting Time Warner to install our internet asap
- someone? - step up the PR efforts for the party
- fuzz - make 8.5x11 flyer to print/copy/spread
- everyone - volunteer to help with the party somehow (and put your name down!)
- kibitz - organize clean up party on 08/20
- craig & kibitz - figure out the money taking logistics at the party
- dave - continue working with mom to fill out form 1023
- kibitz & craig - coordinate the junk rules / equipment disposal system