Difference between revisions of "Area Wardens"
(Added Brad as electronics area warden)
(→Current Area Wardens)
|Line 18:||Line 18:|
|Machining & Glasswork
Revision as of 10:01, 22 July 2020
|This page is related to Membership|
|Area Wardens, Membership Proposal I|
The Warden Addendum was revised with 2019 bylaw changes. This page now reflects those changes.
Wardens are active Members who want to become experts of the Hive and lead the Hive mission. Wardens are able to effectively offer advice, teach users how to properly and safely use the machines, maintain the space, and directly request replacements or improvements to items in the space. The increased responsibility of these Members comes with the benefit of a discount off of the Membership fee and direct access to funds for improvement of the space.
Contacting a Warden
All wardens are required to provide means to contact them in case there is a problem. You can either contact the warden responsible for the area directly, or if it's a more general problem via the emailing list to notify all wardens.
Please report broken equipment by email to via the emailing list to log the down equipment. Broken doesn't mean you broke it, it just means you found a problem and want to report it. We use this list to track equipment.
Current Area Wardens
|Machining, Welding & Glasswork||Kevin McLeod|
|Digital Fabrication Lounge (CAD/3D Printing/Laser cutters)||Ralph Blumberg|
|Kitchen Area||Nancy Graven|
|Electronics Area||Brad Walsh|
|Craft and Sewing Area||Lisa Crump|
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for managing the Wardens. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ensuring that Wardens are respecting the Hive
- Approval of requests for the Warden Budget
- Holding short monthly progress meetings with the Wardens
A total of $250 is allocated each month. Wardens have direct access to request parts/consumables for the Hive out of this Warden Budget. Approved requests are purchased by the COO, and the monthly summary is presented to the Board at each Board Meeting for reimbursement to the COO.
The spreadsheet containing all requested purchases is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11DHboCQScVpFaE0gr7DVP05cA1nxiyD66PorC0PepRs
Eligibility, Discount and Appointment
- Any Member in good standing for at least the prior four (4) consecutive months may serve as an Warden. The longevity requirement may be waived for a specific Member by an Act of the Board of Directors.
- Wardens are eligible for a discount of 100% of dues for Student Members and 50% of dues for any other Membership class.
- The maximum number of Wardens may be changed at any time by an Act of the Board of Directors, and is eight (8) until such an Act is passed. Reducing the maximum number of Wardens does not cause any current Warden to be removed from a Warden position.
- Wardens shall be appointed or removed by an Act of the Board of Directors. The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is responsible for making appropriate recommendations to the board for warden appointment or removal based on the needs of the organization.
The COO is responsible for determining the specific breakdown of the various Areas and the individual duties of each Warden. Each Warden is not necessarily limited to one Area, nor one Warden per Area, and cross-training of Wardens is encouraged. Responsibilities of the Wardens include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide at least one reliable form of contact plus respond on the Mailing List and any other electronic messaging system the Hive provides for its Members
- Ensure that the Hive is kept clean (proactively and reactively)
- Maintain all equipment in the Hive, and ensure broken equipment is repaired
- Maintain documentation on Hive equipment, including a list of any consumables needed and current status
- Request Warden Budget funds for parts or consumables as needed
- Hold public hours at least twice a month for at least two hours each at which the Warden is present
- Provide feedback on how to improve the Warden program
The official documentation of an Area Wardens rights and responsibilities can be found in the Bylaws Warden Addendum.