Board Meeting - August 18, 2013: Difference between revisions

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
mNo edit summary
 
(5 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
{{BoardMeeting
| Previous Meeting=Board Meeting - August 13th, 2011
| Next Meeting=Board Meeting - December 05, 2013
| MeetingDate=2013/08/18
}}
= Coordinates =
= Coordinates =


Line 25: Line 30:
**We will check our mission statement, and whether we are following it
**We will check our mission statement, and whether we are following it
**Board talks about things and brings up potential changes to the members for votes
**Board talks about things and brings up potential changes to the members for votes
**Board does not make decisions on its own.
**Board does not actually make changes on its own.


*Ian:  mission statement: "The corporation's mission is to promote technology through education and collaboration."  
*Ian:  mission statement: "The corporation's mission is to promote technology through education and collaboration."  
Line 38: Line 43:
***it's on google docs in the hive13 account
***it's on google docs in the hive13 account
**Tiffany:  we could also do videos.  I took one for welding class.  We could have some for tools.
**Tiffany:  we could also do videos.  I took one for welding class.  We could have some for tools.
**Mike: Tiffany and I can work with "expert" members on making some training manuals
*More discussion followed of options for videos and training.
*More discussion followed of options for videos and training.
**Ian: should this be on the wiki or somewhere else?
**Ian: should this be on the wiki or somewhere else?
Line 57: Line 64:
****hive13 google group--how to deal with it.
****hive13 google group--how to deal with it.
****Who deals with the HIVE13 network and phone system
****Who deals with the HIVE13 network and phone system
*More discussion followed concerning keeping track of membership etc.
*More discussion followed concerning keeping track of membership etc.
**Ian  is implementing a CRM system to keep track of membership and payments
**Ian  is implementing a CRM system to keep track of membership and payments
**Papers are being scanned and put in the system.
**Membership forms are being scanned and put in the system.
**Ian:  Jim has recommended we post up who we are on the wall of the hive.  Mugshots of the board etc.
**Ian:  Jim has recommended we post up who we are on the wall of the hive.  Mugshots of the board etc.
**Ian:  let's get some people listed as contacts for people to call.
**Ian:  let's get some people listed as contacts for people to call.
Line 73: Line 81:
***Dave: found the owner of Garden street: Earl Webber 513-721-4660
***Dave: found the owner of Garden street: Earl Webber 513-721-4660


*Ian: Buylaws are typed up.
*Ian: New bylaws are typed up, and should go on the wiki.
o We let one 16yr old (Allan) become a member, sort of, even though buylaws say 18+
 
o Consensus was, he should be able to be here with supervision only
*We let one 16yr old become a member, sort of, even though bylaws say 18+
o He's been here on his own...Solution coming up, card access only, get rid of old door codes.
**Consensus was, he should be able to be here with supervision only
Jon:  we need to increase the $$ coming in to be a techshop-caliber group
**He's been here on his own...Solution is coming up: card access only, get rid of old door codes.
Ian:  propose to increase the E-LITE membership cost, keep sutdent the same.
 
Full members get 24/7 access, E-LITEs are supposed to only be here when there's other members.
*Jon:  would be helpful to increase the $$ coming in to be a techshop-caliber group
Open/Close switch is a good indicator.
**Ian:  propose to increase the E-LITE membership cost, keep student the same.
• Ian:  increase E-LITE to $25 a month.
***Full members get 24/7 access, E-LITEs are supposed to only be here when there's other members.
We are having some issues with space--for projects and materials
***Open/Close switch is a good indicator to allow E-LITE members to know when someone's here
o Jon: Pallet racks have been good, we should get more
***Possibly increase E-LITE to $25 a month?--will discuss this at tuesday meeting
We could get used ones much cheaper than new.
 
 Make a decent portion of it storage for members.
*We are having some issues with space--for projects and materials
Could get more big shelves for ~$250 each.
**Jon: Pallet racks have been good, we should get more
 Craig:  fix the membership first, then worry about more expenditures.
**We could get used ones much cheaper than new.
 Only full members will have the space.
**New racks would include more storage for member projects.
Ian: don't want it to become a group of the have and have-nots.  
**Could get more big shelves for ~$250 each.
o artificial limits not great for community
**In bylaws, only full members get project storage space.
o Jon:  make one membership at $50 a month, then allow the "starting artists" to pay less for a full membership.
 
o Some of the E-LITE members only come on Tuesdays to  
* More discussion followed of membership issues..
o Tiffany: would rather just bring it up to $25 for now, then evaluate how membership chnages
**Ian: don't want it to become a group of the have and have-nots.  
o Board cannot actually change anything by voting
***artificial limits not great for community
o Ian will start this discussion at the next meeting.
**Jon:  could change to only one membership type at $50 a month
o Membership addendum can changed without changing bylaws
***Allow members to request lower payment if $50 is too difficult
Craig:  TechBus!
***Service to the Hive (donations, hours spent, etc) can also replace normal dues
o Peterbilt will not sponsor us
**Some of the E-LITE members only come on Tuesdays for social aspect--doesn't make sense to charge them that much..
o Potential sponsors will want to know volunteer hours etc.
**Tiffany: would rather just bring it up to $25 for now, then evaluate how membership chnages
o They typically want a business plan.
**Ian will start this discussion at the next meeting.
o What stuff will the bus actually have?
**Note: Membership addendum can changed without changing bylaws
3D printers
 
Laptops, squid server, wireless
*Craig:  TechBus!
soldering and electronics supplies
**Peterbilt is most likely going to make it, but they will not sponsor us
extra ventilation for soldering
**Potential sponsors will want to know volunteer hours etc. or our organization
Raspberry Pie's for multiple student work desks
**They typically want a business plan.
individual lighting for desks
**What stuff will the bus actually have?
Sympodium for the teacher. "it rocks"
***3D printers
wheelchair accessible.
***Laptops, squid server, wireless
full-body skin wrap (for the bus)
***soldering and electronics supplies
No bathroom, no water system.
****extra ventilation for soldering
o Ian:
***Raspberry Pie workstations on multiple student desks
Where are we going to park it? (at the schools all the time)
***individual lighting for desks
Who's driving it? Hire a driver, or have people get CDL's?
***Sympodium for the teacher. "it rocks"
o Targeting the high schoolers.
***wheelchair accessible.
o Secretary (Mike) will help write up business plan
***Microscope for bio slides?
o Ian suggested:  Scripps Foundation
***full-body skin wrap (for the bus)
o NSF? USDA? State of Ohio?
***No bathroom, no water system.
Dave: Continuance of Existance Form probably needs to be filled out.
**Ian has questions:
o We need to get this sent in between now and next July.
***Where are we going to park it? (Craig: at the schools all the time)
• Every year, we need to update who the board is
***Who's driving it? Hire a driver, or have people get CDL's? (Either could work)
Do we want to start making some tax-free purchases for the hive?
**Will be mostly for high schoolers.
o Digikey, adafruit, etc will give us moderate discounts
**Secretary (Mike) will help write up business plan
o In-state
**Discussion of possible funding sources
***Ian suggested:  Scripps Foundation
***NSF? USDA? State of Ohio?
 
*Dave: Continuance of Existence Form probably needs to be filled out.
**We need to get this sent in between now and next July.
 
*Do we want to start making some tax-free purchases for the hive?
**Digikey, adafruit, etc will give us moderate discounts
**Can make in-state purchases tax free
 
[[Category:Board Meetings]]
[[Category:Events]]

Latest revision as of 01:30, 23 January 2015

Board Meetings
Previous: August 13th, 2011 Meeting Procedure Next: December 05, 2013

Coordinates

Date: August 18th, 2013

Time: 1:00 pm

Location: Anchor Building, 2929 Spring Grove Ave.

Attendees

  • Board Members
    • Jon Neal
    • Ian Wilson
    • Craig Smith
    • Dave Menninger
    • Tiffany Bell-Horwath
  • Other attendees
    • Mike Horwath (Secretary)
    • Elly Hall

Minutes

  • Ian: Introduction for the new board members
    • Structure of board meetings fairly informal
    • We will check our mission statement, and whether we are following it
    • Board talks about things and brings up potential changes to the members for votes
    • Board does not actually make changes on its own.
  • Ian: mission statement: "The corporation's mission is to promote technology through education and collaboration."
  • Jon: we may not be following the "education" part very well
    • Discussion followed...It would be good to have more training for tools etc
    • Ian: agreed, we need more centralized training.
    • For welder, laser cutter, 3D printing--should have accessible training
    • Formal classes, or self based learning with checkout test, would be OK
    • The more educated the members are, the less damage/maintenance we need to deal with
    • Tiffany: could we have procedures written up and available? Put them on the wiki?
    • Dave: we have a defined curriculum for the laser
      • it's on google docs in the hive13 account
    • Tiffany: we could also do videos. I took one for welding class. We could have some for tools.
    • Mike: Tiffany and I can work with "expert" members on making some training manuals
  • More discussion followed of options for videos and training.
    • Ian: should this be on the wiki or somewhere else?
    • Jon: not a fan of wiki, annoying markup, wiki is kinda cluttered
    • Whoever wants to do the work, put it up where you want!
    • We need to start asking people who know the stuff to make the tutorials!
    • Jon: video alone is not ideal, content not searchable,
    • Dave: we should follow up at every meeting to get this done.
    • Start with a top 5 list
      • laser cutter: already partly documented
      • Welder
      • 3D printer
      • Wood shop (General)-- focus on table saw+band saw
      • Meta/Man pages for hive--light switches etc
        • where does trash go
        • fridge/kitchen rules
        • how to edit the wiki
        • how to put things on hive google calendar etc
        • hive13 google group--how to deal with it.
        • Who deals with the HIVE13 network and phone system
  • More discussion followed concerning keeping track of membership etc.
    • Ian is implementing a CRM system to keep track of membership and payments
    • Membership forms are being scanned and put in the system.
    • Ian: Jim has recommended we post up who we are on the wall of the hive. Mugshots of the board etc.
    • Ian: let's get some people listed as contacts for people to call.
  • Ian: we will be making a new key for the breaker room.
  • Conversation about our rental of the anchor building
    • We have a yearly lease.
    • There's still some leaks, even though roof was fixed
    • landlord/mananger is hard to get hold of
      • Garden street bought this building a while back...
      • If Garden street decides to knock down anchor building, we will talk to 3CDC and get a new space!
      • Dave: found the owner of Garden street: Earl Webber 513-721-4660
  • Ian: New bylaws are typed up, and should go on the wiki.
  • We let one 16yr old become a member, sort of, even though bylaws say 18+
    • Consensus was, he should be able to be here with supervision only
    • He's been here on his own...Solution is coming up: card access only, get rid of old door codes.
  • Jon: would be helpful to increase the $$ coming in to be a techshop-caliber group
    • Ian: propose to increase the E-LITE membership cost, keep student the same.
      • Full members get 24/7 access, E-LITEs are supposed to only be here when there's other members.
      • Open/Close switch is a good indicator to allow E-LITE members to know when someone's here
      • Possibly increase E-LITE to $25 a month?--will discuss this at tuesday meeting
  • We are having some issues with space--for projects and materials
    • Jon: Pallet racks have been good, we should get more
    • We could get used ones much cheaper than new.
    • New racks would include more storage for member projects.
    • Could get more big shelves for ~$250 each.
    • In bylaws, only full members get project storage space.
  • More discussion followed of membership issues..
    • Ian: don't want it to become a group of the have and have-nots.
      • artificial limits not great for community
    • Jon: could change to only one membership type at $50 a month
      • Allow members to request lower payment if $50 is too difficult
      • Service to the Hive (donations, hours spent, etc) can also replace normal dues
    • Some of the E-LITE members only come on Tuesdays for social aspect--doesn't make sense to charge them that much..
    • Tiffany: would rather just bring it up to $25 for now, then evaluate how membership chnages
    • Ian will start this discussion at the next meeting.
    • Note: Membership addendum can changed without changing bylaws
  • Craig: TechBus!
    • Peterbilt is most likely going to make it, but they will not sponsor us
    • Potential sponsors will want to know volunteer hours etc. or our organization
    • They typically want a business plan.
    • What stuff will the bus actually have?
      • 3D printers
      • Laptops, squid server, wireless
      • soldering and electronics supplies
        • extra ventilation for soldering
      • Raspberry Pie workstations on multiple student desks
      • individual lighting for desks
      • Sympodium for the teacher. "it rocks"
      • wheelchair accessible.
      • Microscope for bio slides?
      • full-body skin wrap (for the bus)
      • No bathroom, no water system.
    • Ian has questions:
      • Where are we going to park it? (Craig: at the schools all the time)
      • Who's driving it? Hire a driver, or have people get CDL's? (Either could work)
    • Will be mostly for high schoolers.
    • Secretary (Mike) will help write up business plan
    • Discussion of possible funding sources
      • Ian suggested: Scripps Foundation
      • NSF? USDA? State of Ohio?
  • Dave: Continuance of Existence Form probably needs to be filled out.
    • We need to get this sent in between now and next July.
  • Do we want to start making some tax-free purchases for the hive?
    • Digikey, adafruit, etc will give us moderate discounts
    • Can make in-state purchases tax free