Board Meeting - August 8th, 2022: Difference between revisions

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
No edit summary
 
(6 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 8: Line 8:


==Agenda==
==Agenda==
===Board Meeting improvement===
*Current situation
**Board meetings are way too packed and rushed in a normal month.
**This month can be expected to be worse
**And it’s likely to get worse in the future
*For this meeting, let’s set a time limit for each agenda item and enforce it.
*Items that need further discussion can be dealt with after the main meeting.
*We need to find better ways to deal with this in future meetings and we need to not put this off until “some day”.
**Do we need a short term committee for this?
===New Leader Orientation===
===New Leader Orientation===


*To be done by new leaders:
*To be done by new leaders:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-eUEqzMNRVX4WrajpgoOYH0bf5PN6FQ3F1q8OVc25Ag/edit?usp=sharing
**Get an @hive13.org email if you don't have one.
**Get an @hive13.org email if you don't have one.
**Add your contact details to the Leadership Contacts to the extent that you are comfortable.
**Add your contact details to the Leadership Contacts to the extent that you are comfortable.
**Conflict of Interest Statements. Please sign and return.
**Conflict of Interest Statements. Please sign and return.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ch8kpW765rdjLlJcMx2fKLOdfj1ni1E5/view?usp=sharing
*Things others need to do:
*Things others need to do:
**Set to “board” flag in intweb
**Set to “board” flag in intweb
Line 24: Line 38:
*Training:
*Training:
**Intweb
**Intweb
https://wiki.hive13.org/view/Intweb#New_Member_Sign-Up_Process
**Member Tours & Signup Process
**Member Tours & Signup Process
*General information:
*General information:
Line 36: Line 51:
===Finance===
===Finance===


*Review Q&A of July numbers as documented on Slack
*Review Q&A of July numbers as documented on Slack https://hive13.slack.com/archives/C027RG3MTJR/p1659813512511319
*Presentation of annual budget to include Treasurer proposal to fold the $250/month MRO member vote into the $250/month warden budget and add a $100/month increase to become $600/month as just the warden budget going forward.
*Presentation of annual budget to include Treasurer proposal to fold the $250/month MRO member vote into the $250/month warden budget and add a $100/month increase to become $600/month as just the warden budget going forward.
[[Image:Hive.12-MonthBudget-20220808.PNG|frameless|500px]]
*Warden budget now needs to be determined and voted on.
*Warden budget now needs to be determined and voted on.
*Warden discount status.
*Warden discount status.
Line 46: Line 62:
**Are we changing to the same system that we use for annual elections?
**Are we changing to the same system that we use for annual elections?


=== Wardens ===
===Wardens===
 
*[[Bylaws#Warden_Members|From Bylaws:]]
*[[Bylaws#Warden_Members|From Bylaws:]]
<blockquote>Wardens shall be appointed by the Board and removed, with or without cause, by an act of the Board. The COO is responsible for making appropriate recommendations to the Board for Warden appointments or removal based on the needs of the Corporation.</blockquote>
<blockquote>Wardens shall be appointed by the Board and removed, with or without cause, by an act of the Board. The COO is responsible for making appropriate recommendations to the Board for Warden appointments or removal based on the needs of the Corporation.</blockquote>
* Seems this isn't exactly what has been being done for new warden appointments
 
* quick board vote to officially appoint all wardens currently listed on the [[Area Wardens]] page?
*Seems this isn't exactly what has been being done for new warden appointments
*quick board vote to officially appoint all wardens currently listed on the [[Area Wardens]] page?


===Discourse for Leadership and Warden emails===
===Discourse for Leadership and Warden emails===
Line 59: Line 77:
**Reply formatting is broken, replaces email context with discourse links and styling, does not present cohesive response experience outside our organization
**Reply formatting is broken, replaces email context with discourse links and styling, does not present cohesive response experience outside our organization
*Can it be made better?  Can/should we switch leadership and wardens emails back to google groups till we figure it out?
*Can it be made better?  Can/should we switch leadership and wardens emails back to google groups till we figure it out?
===Outreach Committee Updates===
*Yeehaw we are hustling 🤠
*Blink Shenanigans
**Proposal underway, prototyping/design party this Saturday (Aug 13th 1-5pm)
**Once again shouting out Hive13 member and sculpture artist '''Jessica Wolf''' for having an installation at Blink this year!
***Hive13 field trip NEEDED to see the installations!
*MiC
**Lot activities on lock, Will B. working on fire permits for fire sculpture.
**Wavepool artist Nate of GloryHole Glassworks partying with us in the lot!
***Do we have any cones for safety?
***Check him out at the Wavepool Pool Party from 12-5pm!
**Moving on to secure people to work buttons, getting chairs, tour guides and inside demo-ers.
*[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqYIb2PDBmE General hooplah]
**WE HAVE A NEW BANNER THAT IS UP TO DATE!
***Thanks to the committee input and to Kayla L., Ryan A., Shawn S., and Kostas P. for printing!
***Estimated cost= $66
***Actual cost= $13.75!
**Some other things we want:
***A table cloth, 2+ metal folding chairs (we can put graphics on them and they are easy to wipe sweat off of), extension cords, camping chairs.
***Dream items
****Cooler for outdoor spring/summer events, mini fans, rags for spills and cleanup, etc.
**Potential fall/winter merch 👀
***HIVE IS REAL
*Like, comment, and subscribe gamers see you on the 17th at 7:30pm for the '''''Outreach Committee Meeting'''''!😎


===HVAC===
===HVAC===
Line 69: Line 113:
*Possible window coverings for the front windows.
*Possible window coverings for the front windows.


=== Reporting Problems ===
===Reporting Problems===
 
*Messes left behind
**How do we encourage improvement? Preferably continuous improvement.
*Safety problems
*Unattended guests
*IDKWTFs
 
===Status of Pending Requests on Intweb===


* Messes left behind
*7 pending applications
** How do we encourage improvement? Preferably continuous improvement.
*2 pending storage requests
* Safety problems
* Unattended guests
* IDKWTFs


=== Status of Pending Requests on Intweb ===
* 7 pending applications
* 2 pending storage requests
<br />
<br />


==Minutes==
==Minutes==
===Attendees===
===Attendees===
John Clark, Jack Margeson, Kate Cook, Kostas Perentesis, Paul Vincent, Kevin McLeod, Ryan Anderson, Paul Vincent, Jim Dallam, Kayla Lukawiecki, Chris Davis
=== '''Action Items''' ===
* Kostas: look into getting traffic cones for marking things outside in MiC. Work on "HIVE IS REAL" merch.
* Kevin & Kate: get together and make a list of things that need to be outlined in regards to teaching new leadership.
* Kate: start an iterable drafted communication Google Doc for discipline of members.
* Ryan: At the next tech meeting, people need to be reminded that they can be reimbursed for hosting and such.
* John: looking into HVAC repair/maintenance costs and setting up a meeting time.
* Jack: make a procedure wiki page for trash takeout.
* Kayla: start putting questions on a new wiki page for FAQ.
* Tech Committee: we need to look at alternate voting options for member votes and committee meetings. We also need to look at the problem with using Discourse as a communication method for leadership and wardens.
* All leadership: What can we spend money on? 2.8k a month on average this upcoming year--let's fix and improve the Hive.


===Discussion Notes===
===Discussion Notes===


===Action Items===
==== Outreach Updates ====
 
* Prototyping/design process for Blink
* Made in Camp fire permit in the works
* Do we have cones for marking things off around the Hive?
** No traffic cones, Kostas will look into getting some
* New up to date banner has been printed for $13.75.
* New fall/winter merch "HIVE IS REAL" in progress
 
==== Board Meeting Improvements ====
 
* Potentially the need for a timer to set so that we're able to creation more action oriented meetings
* New items will now be added to the agenda have a week cut-off before the board meeting.
* Implementation of a board packet?
 
==== Action Items for New Leadership ====
 
* Add "give them access to the Google Drive folder"
* Conflict of interest statements need to be sent out yearly to the new leadership
* New leaders need to be informed about how to do tours
* '''Pin post on Discourse so that we can make sure that we can get a date for all leadership able to attend'''
 
==== Finance ====
 
* Record high membership numbers
* Everything is fine! Nice!
* Budget linked in the board meeting wiki page above
* Discretionary net income of about 2.8k a month.
** '''How are we going to spend this?'''
* '''Warden Budget is now $600 a month. Member vote has been removed.'''
 
==== Wardens ====
 
* Kevin proposed that the board certify all wardens right now so that the bylaw listed in this section becomes the "norm" or standard in the future.
* '''Board moved to certify all current wardens. All future wardens will be approved by the board as required in the bylaws.'''
 
* Discourse seems unable to handle leadership and warden emails
** Do we have to switch back to Google Groups for this use case for the time being?
 
==== HVAC ====
 
* We need to look into routine maintenance for the HVAC in the space
* John will look into getting an HVAC repair person here
 
==== Reporting Problems ====
 
* We're never going to be able to make people do *anything*.
** Reaching out directly to the people causing the problem is something we have not actively done
** Form letter written up on the wiki about not cleaning up and sending those out
** Public praise, private punishment
** Action added to the new leadership checklist--need to make sure that every leadership knows clean-up procedures.
* Trash procedure needs to be added to the wiki--Jack will do it.
* We should really, really have a FAQ on the wiki--Kayla will do it.
* '''Google Doc for discipline will be created and iterated on by the board.'''
** We, as an organization, will no longer tolerate undisciplined actions.
* Recurring Slack post to tell members where to report problems
 
==== Status of Pending Requests on Intweb ====
 
* 7 pending applications, 2 storage requests
* The applications in the box right now are basically ghosts applications

Latest revision as of 19:53, 8 August 2022

Board Meetings
Previous: July 11th, 2022 Meeting Procedure Next: September 12th, 2022

Time: 7:30 PM
Place: Google Meet Telecom
To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/bdr-rjhv-cbk
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial [302-751-5581|+1 302-751-5581] and enter this PIN: 260 934 004#
To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://tel.meet/bdr-rjhv-cbk?hs=5

Agenda

Board Meeting improvement

  • Current situation
    • Board meetings are way too packed and rushed in a normal month.
    • This month can be expected to be worse
    • And it’s likely to get worse in the future
  • For this meeting, let’s set a time limit for each agenda item and enforce it.
  • Items that need further discussion can be dealt with after the main meeting.
  • We need to find better ways to deal with this in future meetings and we need to not put this off until “some day”.
    • Do we need a short term committee for this?

New Leader Orientation

  • To be done by new leaders:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-eUEqzMNRVX4WrajpgoOYH0bf5PN6FQ3F1q8OVc25Ag/edit?usp=sharing

    • Get an @hive13.org email if you don't have one.
    • Add your contact details to the Leadership Contacts to the extent that you are comfortable.
    • Conflict of Interest Statements. Please sign and return.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ch8kpW765rdjLlJcMx2fKLOdfj1ni1E5/view?usp=sharing

  • Things others need to do:
    • Set to “board” flag in intweb
    • Add to #leadership is Slack
    • Add to #leadership_private in Slack
    • Add to leadership Discourse group
    • Add to #announcements Slack channel
    • Grant access to Hive shared Google Drives
    • Bitwarden access
  • Training:
    • Intweb

https://wiki.hive13.org/view/Intweb#New_Member_Sign-Up_Process

    • Member Tours & Signup Process
  • General information:
    • Leadership Communications etiquette
      • ALWAYS thread responses in slack #announcments channel, it's the one channel members can't choose to leave, and only leaders can post in.
        • There are a very few but genuine exceptions. COO will explain.
      • Keep ALL conversation not directly related to a confidential topic out of #leadership_private, if not security/privacy sensitive, all discussion should be in #leadership_discussion.
      • CC leadership@hive13.org on official business emails so others know what is being taken care of and what still needs responses.
      • Where possible use a handle/login that clearly identifies who you are. Your name not you position.
    • Member storage space assignment. Brief explanation.

Finance

  • Review Q&A of July numbers as documented on Slack https://hive13.slack.com/archives/C027RG3MTJR/p1659813512511319
  • Presentation of annual budget to include Treasurer proposal to fold the $250/month MRO member vote into the $250/month warden budget and add a $100/month increase to become $600/month as just the warden budget going forward.

Hive.12-MonthBudget-20220808.PNG

  • Warden budget now needs to be determined and voted on.
  • Warden discount status.
    • No longer in bylaws.
    • Are we still doing it? Should we?
  • Need for IT/CTO budget.
  • Member votes.
    • Are we changing to the same system that we use for annual elections?

Wardens

Wardens shall be appointed by the Board and removed, with or without cause, by an act of the Board. The COO is responsible for making appropriate recommendations to the Board for Warden appointments or removal based on the needs of the Corporation.

  • Seems this isn't exactly what has been being done for new warden appointments
  • quick board vote to officially appoint all wardens currently listed on the Area Wardens page?

Discourse for Leadership and Warden emails

  • Discourse seems ill-equipped for handling leadership and warden email
    • HTML messages get broken
    • Reply and CC features break threading of responses
    • Reply formatting is broken, replaces email context with discourse links and styling, does not present cohesive response experience outside our organization
  • Can it be made better? Can/should we switch leadership and wardens emails back to google groups till we figure it out?

Outreach Committee Updates

  • Yeehaw we are hustling 🤠
  • Blink Shenanigans
    • Proposal underway, prototyping/design party this Saturday (Aug 13th 1-5pm)
    • Once again shouting out Hive13 member and sculpture artist Jessica Wolf for having an installation at Blink this year!
      • Hive13 field trip NEEDED to see the installations!
  • MiC
    • Lot activities on lock, Will B. working on fire permits for fire sculpture.
    • Wavepool artist Nate of GloryHole Glassworks partying with us in the lot!
      • Do we have any cones for safety?
      • Check him out at the Wavepool Pool Party from 12-5pm!
    • Moving on to secure people to work buttons, getting chairs, tour guides and inside demo-ers.
  • General hooplah
    • WE HAVE A NEW BANNER THAT IS UP TO DATE!
      • Thanks to the committee input and to Kayla L., Ryan A., Shawn S., and Kostas P. for printing!
      • Estimated cost= $66
      • Actual cost= $13.75!
    • Some other things we want:
      • A table cloth, 2+ metal folding chairs (we can put graphics on them and they are easy to wipe sweat off of), extension cords, camping chairs.
      • Dream items
        • Cooler for outdoor spring/summer events, mini fans, rags for spills and cleanup, etc.
    • Potential fall/winter merch 👀
      • HIVE IS REAL
  • Like, comment, and subscribe gamers see you on the 17th at 7:30pm for the Outreach Committee Meeting!😎

HVAC

  • AC was never actually designed to handle our space and functions.
    • We got the largest units that would work with our furnaces.
  • Barely keeping up on hot days.
    • Humidity and the heat of the building itself big parts of the problem.
  • Maintenance? Set up annual checkup with AC fund drive reserves?
  • Possible window coverings for the front windows.

Reporting Problems

  • Messes left behind
    • How do we encourage improvement? Preferably continuous improvement.
  • Safety problems
  • Unattended guests
  • IDKWTFs

Status of Pending Requests on Intweb

  • 7 pending applications
  • 2 pending storage requests


Minutes

Attendees

John Clark, Jack Margeson, Kate Cook, Kostas Perentesis, Paul Vincent, Kevin McLeod, Ryan Anderson, Paul Vincent, Jim Dallam, Kayla Lukawiecki, Chris Davis

Action Items

  • Kostas: look into getting traffic cones for marking things outside in MiC. Work on "HIVE IS REAL" merch.
  • Kevin & Kate: get together and make a list of things that need to be outlined in regards to teaching new leadership.
  • Kate: start an iterable drafted communication Google Doc for discipline of members.
  • Ryan: At the next tech meeting, people need to be reminded that they can be reimbursed for hosting and such.
  • John: looking into HVAC repair/maintenance costs and setting up a meeting time.
  • Jack: make a procedure wiki page for trash takeout.
  • Kayla: start putting questions on a new wiki page for FAQ.
  • Tech Committee: we need to look at alternate voting options for member votes and committee meetings. We also need to look at the problem with using Discourse as a communication method for leadership and wardens.
  • All leadership: What can we spend money on? 2.8k a month on average this upcoming year--let's fix and improve the Hive.

Discussion Notes

Outreach Updates

  • Prototyping/design process for Blink
  • Made in Camp fire permit in the works
  • Do we have cones for marking things off around the Hive?
    • No traffic cones, Kostas will look into getting some
  • New up to date banner has been printed for $13.75.
  • New fall/winter merch "HIVE IS REAL" in progress

Board Meeting Improvements

  • Potentially the need for a timer to set so that we're able to creation more action oriented meetings
  • New items will now be added to the agenda have a week cut-off before the board meeting.
  • Implementation of a board packet?

Action Items for New Leadership

  • Add "give them access to the Google Drive folder"
  • Conflict of interest statements need to be sent out yearly to the new leadership
  • New leaders need to be informed about how to do tours
  • Pin post on Discourse so that we can make sure that we can get a date for all leadership able to attend

Finance

  • Record high membership numbers
  • Everything is fine! Nice!
  • Budget linked in the board meeting wiki page above
  • Discretionary net income of about 2.8k a month.
    • How are we going to spend this?
  • Warden Budget is now $600 a month. Member vote has been removed.

Wardens

  • Kevin proposed that the board certify all wardens right now so that the bylaw listed in this section becomes the "norm" or standard in the future.
  • Board moved to certify all current wardens. All future wardens will be approved by the board as required in the bylaws.
  • Discourse seems unable to handle leadership and warden emails
    • Do we have to switch back to Google Groups for this use case for the time being?

HVAC

  • We need to look into routine maintenance for the HVAC in the space
  • John will look into getting an HVAC repair person here

Reporting Problems

  • We're never going to be able to make people do *anything*.
    • Reaching out directly to the people causing the problem is something we have not actively done
    • Form letter written up on the wiki about not cleaning up and sending those out
    • Public praise, private punishment
    • Action added to the new leadership checklist--need to make sure that every leadership knows clean-up procedures.
  • Trash procedure needs to be added to the wiki--Jack will do it.
  • We should really, really have a FAQ on the wiki--Kayla will do it.
  • Google Doc for discipline will be created and iterated on by the board.
    • We, as an organization, will no longer tolerate undisciplined actions.
  • Recurring Slack post to tell members where to report problems

Status of Pending Requests on Intweb

  • 7 pending applications, 2 storage requests
  • The applications in the box right now are basically ghosts applications