Board Meeting - December 13th, 2021: Difference between revisions

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
 
(8 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 8: Line 8:


==Agenda==
==Agenda==
====Finance====
*November financials are done and posted on the Open Finance site.  We are at another new high, 147 members, and all is good.
*As membership has increased during 2021, our "Monthly Net" has increased allowing us to afford the recent member votes.
*If membership levels hold we can anticipate to budget $2k to $2.3k per month ($24k to $27.6k for the year) for "Discretionary Purposes" into next year.
*The Finance Committee and Leadership is encouraged to lead membership to create a "Strategic Plan" for such spending into the coming year.
===Updating Bylaws===
===Updating Bylaws===
*A committee is needed
*A committee is needed
*The annual meeting seems a long way off but we should get this started before too many more months.
*The annual meeting seems a long way off but we should get this started before too many more months.


===Committee Status Updates===
===Committee Status Updates===
====Finance====
*JimD is deep into building the QuickBooksPlusOnline structure to match for the legacy 2020 and 2021 financials.  It is a complicated long slog with some progress and setbacks.
*It remains a committed goal (as a mostly solo task so far) that is not (yet) ready to publish.
====Outreach====
====Outreach====
*Adding membership to Outreach Committee authority
*Adding membership to Outreach Committee authority
**Dave Velzey can't do it all. (PLEASE stop this "only X person does Y" stuff...  it's super demeaning and derogatory to all the people who want and try to help.)
**Dave Velzey can't do it all. (PLEASE stop this "only X person does Y" stuff...  it's super demeaning and derogatory to all the people who want and try to help.)
**John Clark has started doing a little of it.
**John Clark has started doing a little of it.
====Finance====


====Technology====
====Technology====


*Met on December 11th (out of cycle due to holidays). Next meeting is back at regularly scheduled date of January 29th.
*Renewed Microsoft donation of Azure credit.
*Will be creating an outreach group on G Suite to handle contact to all members of outreach committee. Pending action at this meeting (see above) and meeting of the outreach committee on 12/15, the membership@hive13.org alias will move to that group.


====Operations====
====Operations====
*Not strictly Operations but paperwork is not getting dealt with.
*Not strictly Operations but paperwork is not getting dealt with.
**Traditionally whose responsibility is it?
**Traditionally whose responsibility is it?
Line 30: Line 46:
*MRO budget will need to be renewed in January
*MRO budget will need to be renewed in January


==== Kitchen ====
====Kitchen====
*henceforth Itty Bitty Kitchen Committee or IBKC
 
*Will be resuming action in Jan 2021 because holidays
*Henceforth Itty Bitty Kitchen Committee or IBKC.
*Will be resuming action in Jan <s>2021</s> 2022 because holidays.


===Wardens===
===Wardens===
Line 46: Line 63:


==Minutes==
==Minutes==
start time:
start time: 7:30pm
 
end time:
 
 
Attendees: Kayla L, Heath B, John C, Chris D, Kostas P, Dax, Dave V, Dave S, Kate C
 
<br />
 
=== Finance ===
 
* we now have 147 members
* we think it's a good idea to come up with a plan on how to spend this discretionary money
** priority plan on what we want to spend and where
* would be nice if member votes fit in some sort of plan
** $XYZ dollars can be spent on member votes in a month
* Need to consider _all the elements_ for this, i.e. *all* the places we want to spend money
* Do we want to create an endowment?
** look for a message in slack or on the mailing list for a written out thought on this
** Chris D & Dave S will discuss the creation of a potential committee post meeting
* Chris D to talk to Valerie (sp?) to discuss forming strategic plans for community development and what are the next steps.
 
* we should be figuring out how to reach out to people who aren't members and figure out what they'd want in a maker space
* discussing the sliding scale membership
** should we make a "focus group" or small team with people in finance/outreach to do this?
** should we rather just create an accessibility group?
 
 
Discussing a yearly meeting to discuss the future of the Hive
 
* plan for the future
* as much about spending money and building out the rest of the space as it is about what we are doing **in that space**
* basically a Hive13 town hall
 
<br />
 
=== Outreach ===
 
* who should be able to sign up new members
** Kostas should be the first person we (the board) should allow that
** Kostas has now been authorized to sign up new members
* membership pipeline --> getting new people who are interested in Hive13
** making sure that once someone shows interest to walk them through it
** do we want to redirect the membership email address to go to the outreach group?
** we need a "membership pipeline workflow"
* calendar for outreach committee
 
<br />
 
=== Technology ===
 
* Next meeting we're going to start looking at and discussing options available to us for replacements for Intweb
 
<br />
 
=== Operations ===
 
* Paperwork should be a consideration for intweb replacement.
** document management
** booting this to the next technology meeting
 
<br />
 
=== Kitchen ===
 
* Next meeting on Jan. 22 @ 1:30pm
 
<br />
 
=== Wardens ===
 
* Couple areas becoming full blown wardens
** Photography
** Ham Radio
* MRO budget will need to be renewed -- John to follow up with Jim
 
<br />
 
=== Action Items ===


end time:
* Kostas added to leadership group
** and slack leadership group
** membership pipeline stuff will be discussed
* Chris D to talk with Valerie about Strategic Planning
** should consider a small team to strategize strategic planning
* Begin Intweb replacement discussion and research

Latest revision as of 20:42, 13 December 2021

Board Meetings
Previous: November 8th, 2021 Meeting Procedure Next: January 10th, 2022

Time: 7:30 PM
Place: In Person and Google Meet Telecom
To join the video meeting, click this link: https://meet.google.com/bdr-rjhv-cbk
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 302-751-5581 and enter this PIN: 260 934 004#
To view more phone numbers, click this link: https://tel.meet/bdr-rjhv-cbk?hs=5

Agenda

Finance

  • November financials are done and posted on the Open Finance site. We are at another new high, 147 members, and all is good.
  • As membership has increased during 2021, our "Monthly Net" has increased allowing us to afford the recent member votes.
  • If membership levels hold we can anticipate to budget $2k to $2.3k per month ($24k to $27.6k for the year) for "Discretionary Purposes" into next year.
  • The Finance Committee and Leadership is encouraged to lead membership to create a "Strategic Plan" for such spending into the coming year.

Updating Bylaws

  • A committee is needed
  • The annual meeting seems a long way off but we should get this started before too many more months.

Committee Status Updates

Finance

  • JimD is deep into building the QuickBooksPlusOnline structure to match for the legacy 2020 and 2021 financials. It is a complicated long slog with some progress and setbacks.
  • It remains a committed goal (as a mostly solo task so far) that is not (yet) ready to publish.

Outreach

  • Adding membership to Outreach Committee authority
    • Dave Velzey can't do it all. (PLEASE stop this "only X person does Y" stuff... it's super demeaning and derogatory to all the people who want and try to help.)
    • John Clark has started doing a little of it.

Technology

  • Met on December 11th (out of cycle due to holidays). Next meeting is back at regularly scheduled date of January 29th.
  • Renewed Microsoft donation of Azure credit.
  • Will be creating an outreach group on G Suite to handle contact to all members of outreach committee. Pending action at this meeting (see above) and meeting of the outreach committee on 12/15, the membership@hive13.org alias will move to that group.

Operations

  • Not strictly Operations but paperwork is not getting dealt with.
    • Traditionally whose responsibility is it?
    • And who can actually do it?
  • MRO budget will need to be renewed in January

Kitchen

  • Henceforth Itty Bitty Kitchen Committee or IBKC.
  • Will be resuming action in Jan 2021 2022 because holidays.

Wardens

Other issues

  • Strategic planning
  • Current policy regarding selling assets to leadership members
    • What is it?
    • Does everyone in leadership understand it?
    • Does it make sense?

Minutes

start time: 7:30pm

end time:


Attendees: Kayla L, Heath B, John C, Chris D, Kostas P, Dax, Dave V, Dave S, Kate C


Finance

  • we now have 147 members
  • we think it's a good idea to come up with a plan on how to spend this discretionary money
    • priority plan on what we want to spend and where
  • would be nice if member votes fit in some sort of plan
    • $XYZ dollars can be spent on member votes in a month
  • Need to consider _all the elements_ for this, i.e. *all* the places we want to spend money
  • Do we want to create an endowment?
    • look for a message in slack or on the mailing list for a written out thought on this
    • Chris D & Dave S will discuss the creation of a potential committee post meeting
  • Chris D to talk to Valerie (sp?) to discuss forming strategic plans for community development and what are the next steps.
  • we should be figuring out how to reach out to people who aren't members and figure out what they'd want in a maker space
  • discussing the sliding scale membership
    • should we make a "focus group" or small team with people in finance/outreach to do this?
    • should we rather just create an accessibility group?


Discussing a yearly meeting to discuss the future of the Hive

  • plan for the future
  • as much about spending money and building out the rest of the space as it is about what we are doing **in that space**
  • basically a Hive13 town hall


Outreach

  • who should be able to sign up new members
    • Kostas should be the first person we (the board) should allow that
    • Kostas has now been authorized to sign up new members
  • membership pipeline --> getting new people who are interested in Hive13
    • making sure that once someone shows interest to walk them through it
    • do we want to redirect the membership email address to go to the outreach group?
    • we need a "membership pipeline workflow"
  • calendar for outreach committee


Technology

  • Next meeting we're going to start looking at and discussing options available to us for replacements for Intweb


Operations

  • Paperwork should be a consideration for intweb replacement.
    • document management
    • booting this to the next technology meeting


Kitchen

  • Next meeting on Jan. 22 @ 1:30pm


Wardens

  • Couple areas becoming full blown wardens
    • Photography
    • Ham Radio
  • MRO budget will need to be renewed -- John to follow up with Jim


Action Items

  • Kostas added to leadership group
    • and slack leadership group
    • membership pipeline stuff will be discussed
  • Chris D to talk with Valerie about Strategic Planning
    • should consider a small team to strategize strategic planning
  • Begin Intweb replacement discussion and research