Difference between revisions of "Board Meeting - January 13th, 2020"

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
m (Agenda)
(Minutes)
 
Line 27: Line 27:
  
 
=Minutes=
 
=Minutes=
<br />
+
'''Board Meeting - 2020-01-13'''
 +
 
 +
'''Role of Board:'''
 +
 
 +
Hive is different from most places, rare for full membership to have governance
 +
 
 +
Should it be that way?
 +
 
 +
Should board have some spelled out responsibilities?
 +
 
 +
* Planning, 1 and 5 year plan
 +
* Coordinate growth, plan for new capabilities/space usage?
 +
* Set priorities for growth and community
 +
 
 +
No minimum number of board meetings
 +
 
 +
Want to keep board “direction” nebulus, keep it at high level concepts like “we want to grow membership” or “we want greater engagement” and then draw members and officers in to flesh it out.
 +
 
 +
'''Action''': Everyone ponder what you think the actual role of the board should be, share in leadership mailing list, we will compare overlap and then work from there. '''Due: One Week'''
 +
 
 +
'''Rent Hike:'''
 +
 
 +
Earl knows we want the cellar, letter invited us to negotiate a lease, the rent hike was probably to push us to see if we really wanted that.
 +
 
 +
$200 is not bad based on how long we have had this space.
 +
 
 +
We need to pursue a lease, try and negotiate.  It would be best for us to do this just once, include renew for main space and getting cellar space.
 +
 
 +
'''Donation/group buy/junk policy:'''
 +
 
 +
Donations that mysteriously show up?  Should re-word so that it’s stronger? Not ok to just bring crap in
 +
 
 +
New parking system needs guidelines published for comment and implementation
 +
 
 +
'''Action:''' Kevin M. to write up more formal wording to put up to membership vote to adopt
 +
 
 +
'''Safety Checklist:'''
 +
 
 +
'''Action''': Dave S to put together and share plan
 +
 
 +
'''Slack Channel Cleanup:'''
 +
 
 +
Lockdown general and make it announcements, only leaders post, everyone else can make responses in threads
 +
 
 +
Change random to discussion, for hive and project related discussion
 +
 
 +
Add a watercooler/new random channel
 +
 
 +
'''Add cameras?:'''
 +
 
 +
Try parking passes, see if it helps
 +
 
 +
Gonna start doing more public shaming about simple messes
 +
 
 +
Need to get monitor for outside cameras by doors.
 +
 
 +
'''Action''': Dave V. and Drew to get monitors set up.
 +
 
 +
'''Laser Damages''': Will Talked to Paul, single lump sum won’t work, but he is willing to pay $300 up front, will maintain his membership at $50/month, then add an additional cornerstone membership to donate $100/month for 12 months.
 +
 
 +
'''Process for Divesting equipment:'''
 +
 
 +
Gigabot was a learning experience
 +
 
 +
Should be discussed in a board meeting before being pushed forward
 +
 
 +
'''Action''': Kevin M. to draft a procedure based on Gigabot experience, with lessons learned
 +
 
 +
Things we might want to divest???:
 +
 
 +
Shapeoko - with Ralph - we can discuss after he brings it back, he is cool if it gets sold
 +
 
 +
Small laser - some people want to make it dedicated rotary
 +
 
 +
'''Finance:'''
 +
 
 +
Jim has been setting up a new format for a budget, it’s on the wiki, in finance, check it out, it will really help us have a better memory
 +
 
 +
Still to come: asset list
 +
 
 +
'''Action''': Will B. to set up asset tag template and print 500 labels.

Latest revision as of 20:58, 13 January 2020

Board Meetings
Previous: December 9th, 2019 Meeting Procedure Next: Latest Meeting
Candidate: Board Meeting - February 10th, 2020

Date: December 9th, 2019 Time: 7:30 PM

Agenda

  • Role of Board and Officers in Governance - Question raised by legal review of Hive13 bylaws. Opening round of discussion.
  • Rent hike of $200 to $1600 monthly effective March 1st. Option for resigning a lease, or continuing on a month to month basis. Is now a good time to inquire about the basement which may allow for an additional discount?
  • Donation and long term loan policy:
    • There has been some mild history of that, the big CNC was purchased similar to what I'm proposing, I think it was 5 people put he'd in $1k each, and because there were not clear rules, and there was unequal effort sharing to get it running, there was drama surrounding that.
    • Since then, we have figured out a pretty clear set of rules surrounding those situations (though, they may not be written down)
      • leadership has the right to accept or reject donations
      • permanent loans the equipment remains owned by the donor, but while in the space the hive takes over maintenance and repair, again, leadership has say on if the thing can stay, and if it needs to leave the donor must make it go away or it goes to purgatory and is put up for grabs or trash.
      • Donations immediately become hive property, and the equipment is then treated exactly as if it had been purchased. As a courtesy, if we decide to get rid of a donation, it is typically offered up to the donor as first dibs to buy back or take back before being sold/given/trashed at leadership or memberships decision.
      • Group purchases are treated as donations, the donors each choose thier donation level to the agreement of the other donors, and leadership must consent to the donation just as any equipment, but once the donation(s) are made, the equipment is just like any other hive purchased or donated equipment, and the future of it is up to the membership and leadership.
  • Safety checklist - Fire extinguishers, first aid kit, lighting, fire box, cameras, door security, list of emergency number, posted sign with our address for calling 911, sign outside so we can be found, ice/snow melt and snow shovel.
  • More cameras for greater accountability and ability to address individuals who abuse community spaces. Ability to view camera footage from remote.
  • Lock down Slack General channel some? change to #announcments and limit to leadership and wardens to make posts?
  • Procedure for divesting Hive13 of items that may have some value fairly and without hurt feelings (Gigabot, Shapeoko, other machines and tools that go unused, but someone may like to have or could be sold for $$$)
  • Laser Damages Compensation - No word from Paul? What do we do?

Minutes

Board Meeting - 2020-01-13

Role of Board:

Hive is different from most places, rare for full membership to have governance

Should it be that way?

Should board have some spelled out responsibilities?

  • Planning, 1 and 5 year plan
  • Coordinate growth, plan for new capabilities/space usage?
  • Set priorities for growth and community

No minimum number of board meetings

Want to keep board “direction” nebulus, keep it at high level concepts like “we want to grow membership” or “we want greater engagement” and then draw members and officers in to flesh it out.

Action: Everyone ponder what you think the actual role of the board should be, share in leadership mailing list, we will compare overlap and then work from there. Due: One Week

Rent Hike:

Earl knows we want the cellar, letter invited us to negotiate a lease, the rent hike was probably to push us to see if we really wanted that.

$200 is not bad based on how long we have had this space.

We need to pursue a lease, try and negotiate.  It would be best for us to do this just once, include renew for main space and getting cellar space.

Donation/group buy/junk policy:

Donations that mysteriously show up?  Should re-word so that it’s stronger? Not ok to just bring crap in

New parking system needs guidelines published for comment and implementation

Action: Kevin M. to write up more formal wording to put up to membership vote to adopt

Safety Checklist:

Action: Dave S to put together and share plan

Slack Channel Cleanup:

Lockdown general and make it announcements, only leaders post, everyone else can make responses in threads

Change random to discussion, for hive and project related discussion

Add a watercooler/new random channel

Add cameras?:

Try parking passes, see if it helps

Gonna start doing more public shaming about simple messes

Need to get monitor for outside cameras by doors.

Action: Dave V. and Drew to get monitors set up.

Laser Damages: Will Talked to Paul, single lump sum won’t work, but he is willing to pay $300 up front, will maintain his membership at $50/month, then add an additional cornerstone membership to donate $100/month for 12 months.

Process for Divesting equipment:

Gigabot was a learning experience

Should be discussed in a board meeting before being pushed forward

Action: Kevin M. to draft a procedure based on Gigabot experience, with lessons learned

Things we might want to divest???:

Shapeoko - with Ralph - we can discuss after he brings it back, he is cool if it gets sold

Small laser - some people want to make it dedicated rotary

Finance:

Jim has been setting up a new format for a budget, it’s on the wiki, in finance, check it out, it will really help us have a better memory

Still to come: asset list

Action: Will B. to set up asset tag template and print 500 labels.