Board Meeting - May 11, 2015
|Previous: April 13, 2015||Meeting Procedure||Next: June 8, 2015|
Hive13 Board Meeting May 18th 2015
Monday June 8th 7:30pm at Hive13
- Purgatory first!
- final area warden plan (Jon/Jim S)
- Finances (Jim D)
- Moving websites (Ryan)
- laser cutter (Jon)
- Started the purchasing process today. We should have it delivered within 2-3 months.
- Someone needs to actually help sell the accuris laser
- Storage boxes (Elly)
- Elections are coming in a couple of months
- Planning for the Future
- Brandon (Guest)
- Jim S
- Brandon (Secretary)
- Dave M
- Dave B (Teleconference)
- Jon will do this after the meeting
- Final area warden plan
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RKKycyDAu-O1yH7Ya177Nncch3ALCWapRogvGPRnEDs/edit (See the final draft version near the bottom)
- Plan is finalized, responsibilities have been figured out. Bylaw addendums have also been worked out (see the above document)
- Wiki page will detail all area warden plans, what the COO is responsible for.
- New membership levels will need to be added to the bylaws, need quorum.
- New bylaws will be put to a vote during general elections for the board
- Voting at next meeting to extend the budget for the area wardens
- Will update once Jim D has sent over finances (in Detroit)
- Old Laser Cutter
- Need someone to actively help sell the old laser cutter that was donated (and we've never been able to get working)
- Seriously, we need to get rid of this thing. Let's figure out how much it's worth (insert model number here)
- New Laser Cutter
- We're up to $1800 in funding!** Still accepting donations, Jon will bring it up again at next meeting
- Jon has started the purchasing process for the laser. Will get with Jim D tomorrow.
- Storage Boxes Update
- (Elly) People interested in this project should get together and have a box building event. Build a box, learn how to work wood! For people not interested in learning how to work wood, we should setup the CNC to cut a box on demand.
- (Elly) Wants to see progress before the next board meeting (in three weeks)
- (Ryan) Should we just give people a designated space that they can put whatever they want on, as long as it's in boxes?
- Hey guys, elections are coming up! Jon is bringing this up now (two months beforehand) so we're not rushing like we usually do for elections. We need organization!
- Ryan's goal is to have every part of our infrastructure broken before then!
- Before the election this year, we need to make clear to people running for office what every position entails. We don't want underqualified people running for key positions.
- The election will be July 21st. Advance notice will be sent to general membership in about a month.
- Website should be moved over before the elections
- (Indistinct wispering into mics)
- Planning for the Future (five year plan)
- Right now we don't really have a clear direction going forward. We are still very much an infant organization in that regard.
- What goals are we trying to hit?*** Looking at a new space for the Hive. We're quickly outgrowing our shoes.
- Expanding Membership. How big do we want to be? Do we want to agree on a set number for membership?
- More outreach to other hackerspaces, more collaboration between different communities. (hackerspace.org mailing list, #hackerspaces on irc.freenode.net)
- Dave M has a SWOT plan from when he was President. Would be a good framework to base a new plan on.
- strategic plan from 2012: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xFcDnUAI-DgP89pDtRFA1lZ-qGV6hnZRktRrEhCGl9k/edit
- Let's look at upgrading tools. Let's also look at getting equipment that makes us unique.
- Streamline donation process. Let's try to contact people who might have tools to donate.
- Let's try to keep doing an open house around the anniversary (July)
- Expanding our educational offering to the community and to Hive membership. More classes and more outreach events. More opportunities for external funding.
- Maker residency once or twice a year