Board Meeting - September 11th, 2023

Board Meetings
Previous: August 14th, 2023 Meeting Procedure Next: October 9th, 2023

Time: 7:30 PM
Place: Google Meet Telecom
To join the video meeting, click this link:
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 302-751-5581 and enter this PIN: 260 934 004#
To view more phone numbers, click this link:


Deadline to add items: Midnight on September 4th, 2023

Items for Discussion/Action


  • COO
    • Member storage requests have been very low. That's not expected to last.
    • The heat reflective film is now installed on 5 of the 18 front windows. (28%)
      • Work continues at the usual volunteer pace.
      • It's too early to evaluate the results.
    • A few tools (inventory items) are now being marked as not available for loan/borrowing.
      • This is the first baby step in making that process make sense.
      • Comments, thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
    • Certifications:
      • Work has started on making this easier and much more transparent.

Area/Warden Reports

  • Woodshop
    • The Woodshop warden job has been recognized as way more than one person can do. Considerably more help is needed.
      • Doug and I are actively working on and brainstorming this.
      • These are just the first steps toward improving the situation.
    • Sawstop issues
      • We had one instance of it being tripped, replaced and it tripping again. Costing two cartridges and 2 blades.
        • The member involved is expecting to pay for one set.
      • It's looking like the free replacement of the cartridge from Sawstop was a bit of luck and probably will not repeat.


  • Attendees: Renee B, Tim Gregg, John Clark, Kate Cook, Shawn Stewart, Kostas, Ryan A, Chris D, Dave V, Jim D.

  • Annual Meeting / Vote Poll update and path forward
    • Leadership Failed to set the schedule for annual meeting and voting
    • Action Item - Schedule Annual Meeting early and announce
      • Set schedule now for 2024
      • Nominations for Leadership
      • Bylaw amendments
      • Ballot Review
      • Voting period
      • Annual Meeting Date
      • Form Election committee early
        • Slack Channel
        • Paul P, Lisa C, Ben S, Kayla L, Brad W.
    • Should Bylaws be revised to address general election quorum?
      • Don’t make quorum lower or easier to meet. Promote the Vote!
  • Policy Clarification: Guest Usage of Certified Tools w/ Host Supervision - Members are responsible for their guests behavior and damages to equipment.
    • Guests may use certification tools under the following conditions:
      1. With advance permission of the area warden or member of leadership.
      2. Their host member is certified on that tool.
      3. The guest is under supervision of the host member
  • Using the Mic at Tuesday meetings is for discussion with people on line
    • Strive to engage people with the frisbee round.
    • Encourage members to tell about their projects.
    • This is a chance to find out what’s happening in other places that I’m not active in.  
    • Encourage open show and tell – Bring your current project to share
    • Encourage people to say what they have learned or want to learn.
    • Share projects that you don’t know how to make happen. I’m stuck on this. Help!
    • Show us your fails – All Hail the Wall of Fail. Experts have failed more than others have tried.
  • Feed them and they will come – Order Pizza and encourage paying for a slice
    • Set up Paypal, Zelle and Venmo to accept money for Pizza and or donations.
      • Discussion in the Finance Channel. Tim Gregg volunteers for a tech committee to promote eazy financial tranzaktions.
  • Operations Report – Virtually out of member storage space.
  • Policy Clarification: In response to Less than Excellent Tool borrowing we are reasserting the no tool loaning philosophy.
    • Tools are disappearing! What tools may members borrow? Hive13 Code of conduct says you can’t take any tools from Hive13. No borrowing.
    • We need to clarify and limit the borrowing process. It's too loose now. Go to Leadership Discussion to discuss Tool Policy.
    • For Now Tools may only be Borrowed with Advance Permission of the Area Warden or Member of Leadership
      • Tim Gregg is volunteering to help work on a tool inventory / library and coordinate with Jack M.
      • The process of what items may be borrowed will be evolving. Not all items have inventory tags – What may be borrowed? Notice to Discourse – Pin to top of Tool Borrowing Channel – Set permission only now. Inventory list and library are valuable assets to Hive13 members only if they are available. Should we have a specific tool library for loaning tools?