Difference between revisions of "Board Meeting - September 8, 2014"
m (Protected "Board Meeting - September 8, 2014" ([Edit=Allow only administrators] (indefinite) [Move=Allow only administrators] (indefinite)))
|Line 106:||Line 106:|
Monday Oct 13 7:30pm at Hive13
Monday Oct 13 7:30pm at Hive13
Revision as of 10:02, 15 September 2014
Hive13 Board Meeting September 2014
- applicant evaluation*
new member on boarding
- what can new members expect from us
- what do we expect of members
- Hive operations manual
- maker faire
- soda money
- area managers
- officer budgets
- officer goals
- Jim Dallam (Treasurer)
- Jon Neal (COO)
- Dave Menninger (Board)
- Brandon Wooldridge (Secretary)
- Ryan Hershey (CTO)
- Daniel McNamara (Board)
- Jim Shealy (President)
- New member Onboarding
- People keep asking what we are, how we work, etc. We don't have a good answer
- People who become members don't know how things work
- vetting new members/ applicant evaluation
- board put the brakes on automatically approving people, don't sign it immediately
- people should come around more than once or twice
- start a thread on email@example.com for each new applicant
- members must show some kind of work, like a project, something that benefits the hive?
- makerfaire will be a big influx of new members
- applicants should visit the hive a few times and begin working on a personal project, certify on a piece of equipment, or engage on a hive improvement project. Any of these would show involvement in the use or operation of the space.
- new people want to get certified on tools, can we pin down a night for getting certified on our tools
- new member orientation packet. ( actual paper )* already on the wiki a bit. Needs to be fleshed out more though.
OnBoarding* Name sent to leadership mailing group, need people to vouch for application* Sit down with new member and take them through the Wiki
- i3 in detroit has an actual checklist for an onboarding officer to go through with new people http://i3detroit.org/wiki/HOWTO_Process_a_new_member
- Twice a month orientations before tuesday meetings
- perhaps the new members sponsor walks them through this
- what is happening with paperwork?
- ryan is keeping a folder full
- ryan requests pictures of applicants, email to leadership@
- jim requests pictures in the CRM
- Current exhibits:
- microcontroller monday blinky thing
- video kiosk
- tesla coil
- possible: interactive exhibit
- Get banner printed
- get another banner printed
- ian controls the soda money rfid credits ( also he has sparkfun credit on a personal account ) this needs to be transferred to hive accounts
- dan and jim extracted cash from machine
- hive would need a stripe account, a sparkfun account, to take these over
- can jon get more access to the paypal api key or whatever is needed to look at the paypal info
- membership stats available to more people? old stats info page is flaky
- Jim can get backdated reports
- does the procedure need refinement
- should there be a dollar amount that rolls over every month with an overall cap
- Jim S saw a good system at GT - they had a spreadsheet for each requested purchase
- should officers have stated/published goals to be checked-in-on each month
- check in on at membership meetings - put it in the meeting agenda!!
- we want some poeple to take some ownership of areas and keep things going cleanly
- question of whether to offer some kind of incentive ( half off membership ? ) possibly $ could be a counter-incentive / source of conflict
- other non-money things: square footage of storage, laser minutes, soda credits, mad props, ?
- maybe different "rewards" for different areas * ask the mailing list: what would incentivize you?
Applicant evaluation and new member onboarding
- Officers Taking Applications (All) - Get a picture of the applicant and forward it to leadership along with their name. Tell prospective member to visit the hive a few times before the hive accepts them as a member.
- Ryan - Scan Applicaitons, Waivers, and store along with pictures.
- Name sent to leadership distribution list and have board members officers vouch for them
- Sponsors - need to take responsibility for the people they bring on, take them through the Wiki and make sure they understand what's expected of them
- Jon, Dave, Elly - Flesh out operations on hive wiki
- Ryan there will be a staging area on the cnc table for the next week
- Elly - get another banner for makerfaire
Money / Accounts
- jim/jon contact ian and get access to the stuff he currently has possession of
- jim will get up to speed on exporting reports manually from paypal site
- Ryan - Create purchase log
- Jim Sheely - Power Series Racing
- Ryan - Offsite backups
- Jim Dallam - Will produce monthly reports.
- Jon - members storage
- Brandon - Will announce next board meeting
- Ask the mailing list what would incentivize them.
Next Meeting Monday Oct 13 7:30pm at Hive13