CNC Router Build
|Hive13 CNC Projects|
|CNC Router Build, DIY CNC Router, Gigabot, Hive13 CNC Projects, Hive13 Stepper Motor Driver Board, Inkjet Eggbot, MakerBot, Mendel, Plasma CNC Cutter, Shapeoko CNC Router|
|Start Date: 11/12/2013|
The goal of this project is to have a usable large format CNC machine in the Hive, along with documenting the steps needed to get the CNC machine functional -- we're starting out with parts -- so that other spaces and folks can use what we've learned to build a similar machine.
A copy of the plans can be found on hubuntu in the /mnt/storage/CNCStuff/ directory. If you're in the hive, you should be able to view the plans by going to http://hubuntu/CNCStuff/ -- if you're not in the hive, you'll need to SSH to hubuntu to grab a copy.
The Estimated cost of this project is $4,500 in core materials. We might have some other expenses (Computers, etc), however, that's not included in this cost.
We started looking at the Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid CNC machine. We settled on a 9'x5' build/work area, 10'x6' in total.
This parts list includes all of the large items and many of the smaller items that were purchased. However, there are a number of items (small bolts, washers, etc) that were purchased and not recorded here.
|Item Name||Link to Product||Qty||Purchased?||Date Ordered||Item Cost|
|Access to Joe's CNC Forum||http://joescnc.com/forums/||1||Yes||Aug 27, 2013||$75.00|
|KFLOP 8-axis Motion Control Board||http://dynomotion.com/KFLOP.html||1||Yes||Nov 15, 2013||$259.00|
|KStep 4-axis Stepper Controller||http://dynomotion.com/KStep.html||1||Yes||Nov 15, 2013||$209.00|
|Power Supply||http://www.jameco.com/1/1/4115-se-1000-48-se-1000-998-4w-ac-dc-enclosed-switching-power-supply.html||1||Yes||Nov 15, 2013||$218.80|
|Z-Axis For CNC||http://www.veloxcnc.com/Z_AXIS_JOE_CNC.html||1||Yes||Dec 20, 2013||$475.00|
|Stepper Motor (34FS1456B)||http://www.longs-motor.com/productinfo/detail_12_25_120.aspx||4||Yes||Dec 1, 2013||$~350.00|
|2 X 2 X 11 GA (.120 wall) A500 Steel Structural Square Tube||http://www.amsupplyco.com/||1,240 In.||Yes||Nov 06, 2013||$186.64|
|50x100mm T-Slot Extrusion (Includes Cut Fee)||http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-5.asp||6,096mm||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$243.23|
|3"x6" T-Slot Extrusion (Includes Cut Fee)||http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp||84"||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$250.87|
|1.5" x 3" Smooth T-Slot||http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-4.asp||18"||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$33.48|
|3" x 3" .25 Extruded Aluminum Angle||14"||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$ 8.39|
|3" x 3" Extruded Aluminum Square Tubing||14"||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$ 8.81|
|1/4-20 x .375 Bhscs||150||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$31.50|
|15 S Scon T-Nut||150||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$40.50|
|5/16-18 x .625 Bhscs||56||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$ 16.24|
|10 S Econ T-Nut 14-20 Thread||200||Yes||Dec 30, 2013||$ 42.00|
|Moore Gear||Bruce's Special||30 Feet||yes||Jan 24, 2014||$366.51|
|Cable Chain||10x , 2x  Plus ends||19 Feet||Yes||Jan 30, 2014||$420.04|
|Emergency Stop Buttons||ebay||6||Yes||Jan 7, 2014||$59.70|
|Overview (Top of CNC) Camera||ebay||1||Yes||Jan 7, 2014||$69.00|
|Spindle Camera||ebay||1||Yes||Jan 7, 2014||$8.99|
|Monitor for Workstation||ebay||2||Yes||Jan 7, 2014||$55.00|
|Enclosure for Electronics||1||$??.??|
|X-Axis Plate||http://wiki.hive13.org/index.php/File:Joes-Aluminum-Plate-Kit-1.jpg||2||Yes||Jan 20, 2014||$??.??|
|PRO Rack and Pinion Drive, Nema 34||http://www.cncrouterparts.com/pro-rack-and-pinion-drive-nema-34-p-226.html||3||Yes||Jan 9, 2014||$449.25|
|V-Roller Bearing (W2)||http://www.cncrouterparts.com/v-roller-bearing-p-240.html||16||Yes||Jan 9, 2014||$164.00|
|Z-Axis Touch Plate||http://www.cncrouterparts.com/auto-z-touch-plate-p-288.html||1||Yes||Jan 24, 2014||$89.00|
|Grade 8 bolts & HW for cross brace||Home Depot||8||Yes||Sept. 9 2014||$34.00|
|VFD and spindle||http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/cnc-spindle/brand-new-2-2kw-air-cooled-spindle-and-vfd||1||Yes||$529|
|Enable and Disable Hardware Switch||http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-BRADLEY-800T-HX2-Series-T-2-Position-Selector-Switch-Double-Contact-Block/121383906460||1||Yes||$|
|Cable-based Emergency Stop||http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Safety/Safety_Switches/Cable-Pull_Safety_Switches/15m_(49_ft)_Max_Protection_Length_(SDM2_Series)/SDM2K98X11||1||Yes||$24.00|
|Female and Male 5 pin Mini XLR Connectors||http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/xlr/xx-series/nc5mxx/ (via mouser)||4 Male, 4 Female 5 pin connectors||Yes||$|
On Sat, Feb 08, we cut down the 3/4" angle iron to size, and then drilled the holes for the Y Axis plates to glide on with the V Groove Bearings. We also milled down the 2 inch angle iron and drilled the holes to go through the two inch steel tubing.
What we still need to do:
- Fabricate and mount hard end stops.
- Finish installing and mounting Cable management (cable chain).
- Install E-Stops. Think about mounting a cable on the bottom of the frame to pull on for this.
- Figure out how to connect e-stops to kstep.
- Figure out how to connect analog output from kstep to VFD.
- Set up bot spindle speed control and e-stops to mach3.
- Flip axes in kstep so that things cut in the right orientation.
- Create a nice box for the electronics and put all of the connectors we will need on the box.
- Possibly look in to encoders for a more accurate setup?
- Install endstops.
- Camera System
- Run cabling for Cameras.
- Set up Camera system for CNC Machine.
- Build Case for Computer and Monitor.
- Mount Computer and Monitor near CNC Machine.
- Dust Collection
- Buy this shoe: http://www.kentcnc.net/nc/products/94-standard-dust-shoe.aspx
- Bring Dust Collection over to the CNC machine.
- Install High-bay LED light above CNC Machine, moving bulbs and/or light to other area of the hive.
- Buy 21mm and 30mm wrenches to keep with the machine for the spindle collet.
- VFD and Spindle
- Wired VFD to Temporary plug
- Programmed VFD Per instructions:
- Restored Windows 7
- Activated Windows 7
- Installed USB Drivers, Ethernet Drivers, KFLOP/KSTEP drivers, USB Wifi Dongle and drivers, set up mounts to hubuntu, and then imaged drive to hubuntu using Clonezilla...
- Restored Windows 7
We have the following pieces of equipment for this:
- Emergency Stop (buttons are here, e-pull is on its way from ebay)
- Auto-zero switch
- Spindle and overview camera
I'm going to order some more items, specifically:
- Enable/Disable Switch for the system
- VFD Enable/Disable Switch
- Motor Enable/Disable Switch
- Physical "start" button
- Feed Hold switch
- Some type of warning light to indicate that the machine has power/motors are enabled
- Some type of warning light to indicate that the VFD spindle has power
- Some type of fault light
- Connectors so that the system can be moved as needed.
- Power Switch that can be LOTO'ed when we are working on the device.
We could also integrate this into the Hive13RFID system, but, I'm not sure how/if/why we should do that. (Version 1.1, maybe?)