The Electronics Area
The electronics area exists on the workbench closest to Spring Grove Ave. (Located in 3C)
We're starting to get a useful collection of things for working with electronics. I decided to try to document what all we have because I heard at least three people say, "Wow, we have one of those?"
Items on loan to the hive are parenthetically noted. Items owned by the hive are noted 'hive13'
So without further ado...
BTW, please feel free to add more information / details!
Soldering Tools in the Area
- Weller WES50 Temperature control soldering iron (cjdavis) - located on top of workbench, plugged in
- Tenma 72-925 Temperature control soldering iron (hive13) - located on top of workbench, plugged in
- Tenma 72-6340 De-soldering iron (player2 ???) - located on top of workbench, plugged in
- Soldering tweezers (player2) ( link)
- Tenma Fume extractor fan (hive13?) - located on top of workbench, plugged in
- Leaded Rosin core solder, several rolls (hive13) - located hanging on screws from upper shelf OR in bin on upper shelf close to window
- Lead free solder, one or two rolls (hive13) - located hanging on screws from upper shelf OR in bin on upper shelf close to window
- Homebrew 2x4 stand that says "SMT ONLY" with tool holder, solder tip cleaner, selection of extremely fine point tweezers for small parts, liquid flux pen for SMT work, 28AWG No-clean solder for SMT work, 28 AWG water clean up solder for SMT work, 21 AWG water clean up solder for SMT work. Please note: this solder is expensive (~$50 / lb - roll) so do not use it for through-hole stuff. (hive13) - located on top of workbench by soldering irons.
- Solder Paste dispenser - this is not actively set up but it is a matter of connecting attachments and going to town. CNC automation of solder paste application is planned. (hive13) - located behind soldering irons on main workbench, attachments etc. in box below controller. Foot pedal in box with dev kits on lower shelf
- Small air compressor - intended to run solder paste dispenser. (blundar) Located on lower shelf under main workbench
- Temperature-controlled hotplate - not sure exactly where this is located or where it should be kept but we have one of these. (hive13?)
- Solder paste - in the fridge in the dirty room, keep it refrigerated! (hive13)
Testing tools we have
- Tenma 40 Mhz oscilloscope (set up, has probes) - located near computer at end of workbench
- Several other oscopes that are untested/not set up - scattered
Programmers, Power supplies, etc.
- Olimex USB JTAG with OpenOCD debugger support ( link ) (hive13) - in box close to wall under workbench
- usbtinyisp AVR microcontroller programmer ( link) (cjdavis) - in box close to wall under workbench. Uses AVRDUDE programmer software. (instructions)
- Willem Parallel port EPROM programmer (link) (hive13) - in box close to wall under workbench
- Serial interface Smart Card programmer for Satellite use (unknown, need to track down docs) (hive13) - in box close to wall under workbench
- "Hondalog" FTDI USB->TTL interface (product pin-config) (hive13) - in box close to wall under workbench
- Pasco model 8000 adjustable power supply - located on main workbench area close to scope
- Lattice XP2 Brevia FPGA dev kit - complete and in box (link) (hive13) - in box close to wall under workbench
- Stellaris LM3S811 Cortex 50 Mhz Cortex M3 ARM - complete and in box (link) (hive13) - in box close to wall under workbench
- mbed NXP1768 96 Mhz Cortex M3 ARM - complete and in box (docs) (blundar) - in box close to wall under workbench
- Olimex 70 Mhz ARM7TDMI ARM NXP LPC2103 dev board - needs Olimex USB JTAG (link) (hive13) - in box close to wall under workbench
- Renesas M16C dev board with RTA-FoUSB-MON debugger/programmer (no link) - in box close to wall under workbench
- Ti MSP430 LaunchPad (MSP-EXP430G2) and Capacitive Touch BoosterPack (430BOOST-SENSE1) x2 (link) (cjdavis) - in box close to wall under workbench
- Toaster Oven reflow oven for solder paste / surface mount soldering. Have toaster oven. Have controller based on ATMega48 partially assembled. Need time and motivation to finish.
- CNC Solder paste dispenser/applicator - planning stage.
- Investigate the use of Hive13 Laser for etching PCBs
- Investigate the use of Hive13 Laser for cutting holes in PCBs.
- Couple of decent but not too expensive (or even crappy?) multimeters
- DSO (I may bring mine in but I'm using it too much right now - blundar)
- Logic analyzer (I may bring mine in but I'm using it too much right now - blundar)
- Convert some computer power supplies into +5 / +12v power supplies. Mount under bench to avoid clutter.
- There is a fairly large selection of wire underneath the desk ranging from about 10 AWG to 24 AWG.
- add me!!!
The main consumable supplies in the electronics area are solder and soldering supplies. For many of these things, other brands/part numbers may work ok. These part numbers are for the exact replacement of what has been used successfully at the Hive:
- The Flux pen for hand SMT soldering Kester 2331-zx (may be discontinued)
- 21 AWG Water clean solder - Kester 24-6337-6403 $65/lb-roll (Digikey: KE1300-ND)
- 28 AWG Water clean solder - Kester 24-6337-6422 $90/lb-roll (Digikey: KE1303-ND)
- 28 AWG No-Clean solder - Kester 4-6337-8806 $91/lb-roll (Digikey: KE1405-ND)