Grizzly Metal Lathe
|The Metalworking Shop Template Is No Longer Used|
|List of All Documented Equipment|
|Hive13 Asset Tag: None|
|Make/Model: Grizzly G0776 (google)|
|Arrival Date: 06/07/2016|
|Does it work?: Yes|
|Certification Needed?: Yes|
|Contact: CNC Warden|
Remaining things to do
- Think about a dust cover (not just a sheet). One thought is a roll up style door (kind of like a rolltop desk).
About the lathe
This is a decent sized and rigid metal lathe with a Digital Readout (DRO). So far it has met all our expectations. We won't be making nuclear fuel rods with it, but it should meet all our needs.
Weighs about 1300 pounds.
It is a /metal/ lathe. Do not cut wood on this lathe as the dust will get in to the ways and slowly ruin it over time.
13" swing and 40" bed.
We use eco-friendly coolant. If the flow is low, refill the tank.
Certification and Training Goals – Don’t hurt yourself. Don’t hurt the machine.
- We do Mill and Lathe certification on an as needed basis. Email the CNC warden or contact through Slack to request certification.
During Certification we review
- Lathe safety and setup
- Tool selection for turning operations
- Holding parts using 3-Jaw chuck
- Change tools and set spindle speeds
- “Zero” the X and Z axis using the DRO
- Perform basic facing and turning cuts on aluminum
- Mount and center work using the 4-jaw chuck
- Demonstrate understanding of Backlash
Lathe Class Handout: File:Lathe Class Handout.pdf
In preparation for certification please;
- Read the manufacturers manual
- Read the Fundamentals of Machine Tools TC 5-954 courtesy of the US Army
- Study the materials linked to the excellent tutorial page from BloomingLabs Hackerspace in Bloomington Indiana.
The metal lathe is only available to Hive13 members who have been certified on its use & care. To become certified, follow the steps above.
Only the following people are certified and permitted to use and certify you on the lathe:
- Will Bauer
- Dave V
Some tooling is available for members. You will likely have to buy/bring more specialized tools if you need them though (such as reamers, weird size/large drill bits, etc).
- Set of general purpose carbide tools and inserts
- Dead and live centers
- Machinist's squares and rulers
- Value dial indicators
- Value micrometers
- Value calipers
The lathe has a bunch of small ports for adding way oil via a small hand pump (sitting on lathe base).
If anything needs to be replaced check the Parts list for numbers.
|Consumables page for Grizzly Metal Lathe|
- ISO 68 lubricant
- ISO 32 lubricant
- Benchmark Fluids Sawlution GreenCut
- Carbide inserts
- Tool steel blanks
- Carbide inserts