January 5, 2016
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Previous Meeting: December 22, 2015||Meeting Procedure||Next Meeting: January 12, 2016|
Time: 7:30 PM
Space: Anchor Building, 2929 Spring Grove Ave.
- Leave work surfaces clear!
- Noise Curfew
- Liability waiver legibility
- Hive tool tour
- Mill update
- CNC update
- Laser update
- Space next door
- Lease sent to Grant. He initially said OK, sent it to the building owners for final review.
- Welcome back from the holiday break!
- General housekeeping
- The back area by the CAD computer is getting bad (this is Jon's bad, is part of a process to make the area cleaner)
- Clean the woodworking area! Including shopvacing/sweeping. It only takes one or two people to make it look like a disaster.
- Noise curfew midnight to 8am.
- Tool tour
- General update: tools that need certification now have signs indicating who is certified and who to contact for certification. Contact Jon, Elly, or Ryan for info.
- Mill - Swarf guard added, Brad is looking for cable anchors to make cabling nicer. Brad is doing a class this Saturday 1pm to 3pm "intro to the mill".
- CNC router - Lorin is doing a similar intro class for the CNC router directly before Brad's class from 10am to 12pm.
- Laser update - Nothing much
- Space next door
- Grant said his initial look at our lease revisions were good, waiting to hear back from the building owners. Vote will restart this week assuming the lease is OKed.
- Board meeting this coming Monday
- Potluck next week before the meeting
- Respond to the email if you are bringing something.
- Major tools purchases for this year?
- TIG welder
- Vacuum forming table
- Maybe a wood lathe
- Spray booth
- Knife makers sander
- Surface grinder
- Industrial sewing machine
- Spot welder
- CNC software discussion
- Many other spaces use it for cnc routers
- Fairly easy to get started using
- $700 option only does 2.5D, 3D requires $2000
- Fusion 360
- A lot more people have used fusion 360, but mostly for other types of tools
- Supports a lot other types of tools (cnc lathes, mills, 3d printers, etc)
- Completely free for people making less than $100k/yr with it
- Much steeper learning curve
- A lot of people use this as well
- Much cheaper so easier for people to buy to use at home, also has a demo version that would let you set up things at home
- cambam gave us 10 licenses to use for the space
- Supports 3d routing
- Welding class
- Kirk will be doing a series of welding classes later this month, look for the blog post and email to the mailing list.
- The Library approached us about doing a summer series. Lorin is taking point on this.
- Gregg Dennison's house was one of the ones that got hit by the recent tornado.
- If anyone wants to help in any way talk to Kevin
- Daniel wants help hosting a costuming build night and wants help to make sure tools don't get damaged.
- Cincy IoT meetup coming up.
- Jim D
- Karl Wilbur (new) - On an advisory council at UC working with IT students.
- Dave Lear
- John M
- Mike H
- Michael Krause
- Andrew (new) - designer, does lots of prototyping
- Edward (new) - interested in 2600 meetings