Laser Exhaust System: Difference between revisions
mNo edit summary
|Line 5:||Line 5:|
= Overview =
= Overview =
Revision as of 11:18, 31 January 2012
Property "ProjectImage" (as page type) with input value "Image:carbon_filter.png|240px" contains invalid characters or is incomplete and therefore can cause unexpected results during a query or annotation process.
|Laser Exhaust System|
|Start Date: 9/08/2011|
|Pages to do with the Laser Cutter:|
There are two separate issues this project aims to address:
- Inadequate venting of the laser fumes.
- Fumes getting into Rob's apartment.
Both goals can hopefully be addressed through a combination of better exhaust fans, improved ducting, and possibly the addition of a carbon filter to the exhaust ducting.
- Chris Davis
- Dave Myers
- Dave B.
- Add yourself here
What needs to be done
This is an overview list of high level steps that need to be done in order to complete this project.
- Determine best diameter of duct.
- Determine how to best couple blowers to ducts
- Determine how, and where we will mount the blowers
- Find pricing for running 23' of 220V (3' up, 16' along office, 4' along wall)
- Investigate feasibility of an activated carbon filter
- Need to filter the air while maintaining a high air flow (500+ CFM)
- Design and build a filter unit.
What has been done
- 9/12/2012: Dave B. has brought in a 1000 CFM and a 2500 CFM blower
- 9/6/2012: Jim brought in a small container of activated carbon.
- 9/6/2012: Paul ordered a 5 lb bag of activated carbon.
Currently on the ToDo List
This is a list of individual steps that need to be performed in the near future.
- Determine optimal ducting strategy
- How does the size of the duct affect the air flow? 8" vs 12"
- How will a 2500 CFM blower work at the end of a 43' duct w/ a corner?
- Investigate carbon filter designs.
- Investigate the blowers Dave B brought in.
- Go with the 2500 CFM or the 1000 CFM?
- How do we couple these to the duct?
- How do we mount these on the wall or window?
- How do we direct the exhaust?
Design & Planning
The Ducts are going to run from 1A through, 1B, to the first window in 1C. Going from chest height in 1A up through the roof of the office is ~5' to 6'. The run from 1A to the 1C window is ~37'.
If we go with 8" ducting, then the price for duct alone is going to be around $100, not counting elbow parts or how we join to the blower(s).
Dave B. has brought down two blowers:
- 1000 CFM - 110 V
- 2500 CFM - 220 V
We will most likely try to mount the 2500 CFM in section 1C on or near the window.
My thought for the carbon filter is to use a 5 gallon bucket as the container, and then build something like the following image:
This is a living log of work that has been completed on the project.