From Hive13 Wiki
Revision as of 18:07, 16 November 2009 by (talk) (New Page Layout)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Property "ProjectImage" (as page type) with input value "4027591597" contains invalid characters or is incomplete and therefore can cause unexpected results during a query or annotation process.

Hive13 Project
Status: Active
Start Date: 07/01/2009

New Page Layout

This page needs a little bit of an overhaul. Work in Progress...


MakerBot Status

As of 11/14/2009: Working!


Make More 3D Printers

  1. Print a spare extruder for MakerBot
  2. Print Mendel parts

Buying the Kit fundraiser

When is it coming?

  • The kit has arrived (to Dave's house). DaveMenninger 20:49, 13 August 2009 (UTC)

Building It

Tools and Parts we still need

This is what comes in the deluxe kit but not in the basic kit that we ordered:

  • a USB2TTL cable to talk to it
  • cat5e cables to wire things up
  • a standard ATX power supply
  • a tools kit with all the hex keys, wrenches, and other bits you need to construct it.
  • a full 5lbs of ABS plastic so you can print your heart out (in addition to the 1lb of ABS)
  • laser cut build foamcore build surfaces, and a spare build platform

We really need:

Painting / Sealing Before Assembly

  • varnish or paint first? or just build it naked?
  • nope, i couldn't wait. maybe we can paint or stain it later. DaveMenninger 05:39, 14 August 2009 (UTC)


Even more photos can be found at:

Day 1

Here is how far I got on Day 1. DaveMenninger 06:02, 14 August 2009 (UTC) MakerBot Day 1 Progress.jpg

Day 2

Here is how far I got on Day 2. DaveMenninger 05:01, 19 August 2009 (UTC) MakerBot X Y and Z stages.jpg

Day 3

Here's how far I got on Day 3. DaveMenninger 05:06, 19 August 2009 (UTC)

Testing / Calibration

Minor Issues

  • z-stage stepper was wired backwards. (In all likelihood the other steppers are backwards too, but they are currently left as-is).
    • fixed this by just plugging the z-stage stepper motor into the driver board backwards.
  • z-stage was getting caught on the screws holding on the electronics on the side. was unable to descend.
    • fixed by screwing the screws out a bit. we should find shorter screws, bigger stand-offs, or put the screws in the opposite direction.
  • slight asymmetry of circular objects.
    • y-stage belt was very loose, x-stage belt was slightly loose. tightened them up.
  • build platform not perfectly level
    • still working on this. it is a combination of leveling the top of the y-stage and keeping the z-stage perfectly parallel to the bottom of the bot

Extruder not extruding consistently

We had problems with extruder not extruding for quite a while. We could get it to print consistently by applying downward pressure on the ABS filament during printing, to prevent it from halting. Eventually we started to play with the settings in Skeinforge and were able to get much more consistent results if we increased the nozzle temperature and slowed down the filament feedrate. Since making these adjustments we have had barely any halting of the filament.

Object solidity

We're still working on this, but we found we could increase the solidity / watertightness of objects by tweaking several settings in Skeinforge. I don't have access to what settings we changed, but I will try to remember to look them up. Objects are not perfectly watertight yet, but we are closer.

Design Projects

What to Print First

New objects to design

Other objects to print when we have time

Hive13 Coin

Misc Links

places to get 3d object files