Difference between revisions of "Outreach Committee Meeting - October 20th, 2021"

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Tour Guide Recruitment)
(Signs)
Line 53: Line 53:
 
===Tour Guide Recruitment===
 
===Tour Guide Recruitment===
  
* We have a bulleted list of tour topics on the [[New Member Orientation]] page
+
*We have a bulleted list of tour topics on the [[New Member Orientation]] page
* I am assuming we still need to recruit tour guides, we consider making an announcement at a regular meeting.<br />
+
*I am assuming we still need to recruit tour guides, we consider making an announcement at a regular meeting.<br />
  
===Wiki Hackathon ===
+
===Wiki Hackathon===
 
===2nd Tuesday Speakers===
 
===2nd Tuesday Speakers===
  
* Brad & his boss Ben did a talk.
+
*Brad & his boss Ben did a talk.
* November speaker?
+
*November speaker?
** Jim mentioned on slack that Kate Cook has a speaker lined up for November 9th ( https://hive13.slack.com/archives/CCCQU96N5/p1634772914422500)
+
**Jim mentioned on slack that Kate Cook has a speaker lined up for November 9th ( https://hive13.slack.com/archives/CCCQU96N5/p1634772914422500)
* Kostas:
+
*Kostas:
** Make Do in Pleasant Ridge, maybe have the owner to do a talk about her store & knitting & textile arts
+
**Make Do in Pleasant Ridge, maybe have the owner to do a talk about her store & knitting & textile arts
** Is this a compensated event for the speaker?
+
**Is this a compensated event for the speaker?
*** Paul: Historically this has been a volunteer event // unpaid.
+
***Paul: Historically this has been a volunteer event // unpaid.
  
 
TODO:
 
TODO:
  
* Have a list of speakers somewhere? We should do it [[2nd Tuesday Speaker Ideas]]
+
*Have a list of speakers somewhere? We should do it [[2nd Tuesday Speaker Ideas]]
  
 
===Social Media account update===
 
===Social Media account update===
  
* Kostas:
+
*Kostas:
** Taken over
+
**Taken over
*** Instagram
+
***Instagram
*** Facebook
+
***Facebook
*** Twitter
+
***Twitter
** We have:
+
**We have:
*** Youtube - a few ideas
+
***Youtube - a few ideas
**** 5 minute short, interview, area of expertise
+
****5 minute short, interview, area of expertise
*** Reddit
+
***Reddit
** They need more content for the social media accounts.
+
**They need more content for the social media accounts.
* John Clark - Brads drone flythrough
+
*John Clark - Brads drone flythrough
** Maybe we can ask him to do another flythrough?
+
**Maybe we can ask him to do another flythrough?
** Update the header image<br />
+
**Update the header image<br />
  
 
===Blog Post Planning===
 
===Blog Post Planning===
  
* TODO: Plan more blog posts
+
*TODO: Plan more blog posts
** Ideas:  
+
**Ideas:  
*** Kostas: Made in Camp recap
+
***Kostas: Made in Camp recap
*** Will will ask Lisa: Needlecraft night
+
***Will will ask Lisa: Needlecraft night
* TODO: We could use a Photo disclosure form to go w/ the social media
+
*TODO: We could use a Photo disclosure form to go w/ the social media
** Find a boilerplate one online, include it as part of new-member sign on, put it on the list of things we probably should ask existing members to sign, like the updated liability waiver
+
**Find a boilerplate one online, include it as part of new-member sign on, put it on the list of things we probably should ask existing members to sign, like the updated liability waiver
  
 
==Agenda - New business==
 
==Agenda - New business==
Line 111: Line 111:
 
<br />
 
<br />
  
* We should always have shirts on hand, if we run low on sizes we immediately order more
+
*We should always have shirts on hand, if we run low on sizes we immediately order more
* Maybe use shirts as rewards:
+
*Maybe use shirts as rewards:
** You volunteered!
+
**You volunteered!
** You did something awesome!
+
**You did something awesome!
** We could run contests
+
**We could run contests
* AC shirts were about $8 / shirt
+
*AC shirts were about $8 / shirt
** We could sell for $10 - $12
+
**We could sell for $10 - $12
* Jim wants us to use the Outreach fund to create things like this.
+
*Jim wants us to use the Outreach fund to create things like this.
* It is marketing. So even if we 'lose' money on the shirts, we can count it as a marketing expense.
+
*It is marketing. So even if we 'lose' money on the shirts, we can count it as a marketing expense.
* It looks good at events when we are all wearing Hive shirts. It was nice @ made in camp that we were all wearing Hive shirts.
+
*It looks good at events when we are all wearing Hive shirts. It was nice @ made in camp that we were all wearing Hive shirts.
  
  
 
TODO:
 
TODO:
  
* Paul is going to make a post in the discussion channel asking for design ideas.
+
*Paul is going to make a post in the discussion channel asking for design ideas.
** Set a deadline ideas.  
+
**Set a deadline ideas.
* Hopefully review designs next Outreach meeting.
+
*Hopefully review designs next Outreach meeting.
  
 
<br />
 
<br />
Line 149: Line 149:
 
***List of donors for the AC fund
 
***List of donors for the AC fund
 
***Better signage around the hive
 
***Better signage around the hive
 +
 +
<br />
 +
 +
=== Wall of Fail ===
 +
Maybe look into bringing back the Wall of Fail, and maybe pair it with a Brag Shelf. A place where you could show off interesting failures and a close shelf where you could show your successes.

Revision as of 20:44, 20 October 2021

Outreach Committee Meetings
Previous: September 15th, 2021 Meeting Procedure - Outreach Committee Next: November 17th, 2021

Meeting Info

Wednesday, October 20 · 7:30 – 9:00pm

Google Meet joining info

Video call link: https://meet.google.com/tkp-kgvm-tnw

Or dial: ‪(US) +1 617-675-4444‬ PIN: ‪130 165 105 0696‬#

More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/tkp-kgvm-tnw?pin=1301651050696

Attendees

  • John Clark
  • Will Bauer
  • Kostas
  • Paul
  • Marilyn

Agenda - Old Business

Made in Camp Recap

How did it go? What went well? What could we do better?

What was attendance like?

  • Kostas
    • Most didn't show up until about 4, since we were near the end of the round
    • 3 new members
    • We are a bit off the route
  • Learn to Solder w/ Brad went well
  • Light attendance, Dave V. was a bit disappointed in that.
  • Sign on the door, and a person who answered the phone
  • Next year:
    • We could try a bit more advertising ourselves around the event
    • Better signage? Talk to Wavepool about that
    • Maybe get some kind of promotional images.
    • Maybe something outside (Learn to solder station outside, utilize the loading dock, Will wants to 'Run the Poofer')

New Member Orientation


TODO:

  • Continue to flesh out the orientation handout, fill in each sub-heading with the relevant info.
  • Put it in a formatted document

Tour Guide Recruitment

  • We have a bulleted list of tour topics on the New Member Orientation page
  • I am assuming we still need to recruit tour guides, we consider making an announcement at a regular meeting.

Wiki Hackathon

2nd Tuesday Speakers

  • Brad & his boss Ben did a talk.
  • November speaker?
  • Kostas:
    • Make Do in Pleasant Ridge, maybe have the owner to do a talk about her store & knitting & textile arts
    • Is this a compensated event for the speaker?
      • Paul: Historically this has been a volunteer event // unpaid.

TODO:

Social Media account update

  • Kostas:
    • Taken over
      • Instagram
      • Facebook
      • Twitter
    • We have:
      • Youtube - a few ideas
        • 5 minute short, interview, area of expertise
      • Reddit
    • They need more content for the social media accounts.
  • John Clark - Brads drone flythrough
    • Maybe we can ask him to do another flythrough?
    • Update the header image

Blog Post Planning

  • TODO: Plan more blog posts
    • Ideas:
      • Kostas: Made in Camp recap
      • Will will ask Lisa: Needlecraft night
  • TODO: We could use a Photo disclosure form to go w/ the social media
    • Find a boilerplate one online, include it as part of new-member sign on, put it on the list of things we probably should ask existing members to sign, like the updated liability waiver

Agenda - New business

T-Shirts

Gonna guess the 'task list' for this is going to look like:

  1. Agree on a design
    • Solicit membership for designs.
    • Paul will make a post in #discussion asking for shirt ideas. Use Will's fantastic design as motivation.
  2. Poll current membership for pre-orders // sizing
  3. Find a manufacturer. Our AC Fund shirts were made by Aaron Kent at DIY Printing
  4. Determine # of each size, and propose a vote to purchase the shirts
  5. Order the shirts


  • We should always have shirts on hand, if we run low on sizes we immediately order more
  • Maybe use shirts as rewards:
    • You volunteered!
    • You did something awesome!
    • We could run contests
  • AC shirts were about $8 / shirt
    • We could sell for $10 - $12
  • Jim wants us to use the Outreach fund to create things like this.
  • It is marketing. So even if we 'lose' money on the shirts, we can count it as a marketing expense.
  • It looks good at events when we are all wearing Hive shirts. It was nice @ made in camp that we were all wearing Hive shirts.


TODO:

  • Paul is going to make a post in the discussion channel asking for design ideas.
    • Set a deadline ideas.
  • Hopefully review designs next Outreach meeting.


Signs

  • Coy has offered to make signs for us at no charge. Actually he has been bugging us for months to let him do this.
    • He is in the process of making a better sign for the 3rd floor landing.
    • Possible sign for outside, street door. We need to re-verify approval from landlord.
    • Others?
  • John Clark:
    • Coy has been pestering us about signs
    • We are going to put a more appropriate sign on the landing
    • Dave V. & John Clark want to confirm that a street level sign is ok.
    • Don't want to offend the landlord & other tenants.
  • Kostas: Sign might be in the lease agreement?
  • John Clark:
    • Lease is on the wiki, things were verbally agreed, but not in the lease
    • In the past he has followed through on verbal agreements
    • Finishing the bathroom still hasn't happened
    • Other signs?
      • List of donors for the AC fund
      • Better signage around the hive


Wall of Fail

Maybe look into bringing back the Wall of Fail, and maybe pair it with a Brag Shelf. A place where you could show off interesting failures and a close shelf where you could show your successes.