Powermatic Millrite MVM Milling Machine
|The Metalworking Shop Template Is No Longer Used|
|List of All Documented Equipment
|Hive13 Asset Tag: None|
|Make/Model: Powermatic Millrite MVM (google)|
|Arrival Date: 11/2019|
|Does it work?: Yes|
|Certification Needed?: Yes|
|Contact: CNC Warden|
- 1 Overview
- 2 User Certification
- 3 Certification Goals – Don’t hurt yourself. Don’t hurt the machine.
- 4 Current Status
- 5 WTB (Want to Buy)
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Resources
This is JimD's personal machine, consigned to Hive13 until further notice for gentle use by considerate members. It was made in Cincinnati in 1979. Jim bought it from a small machine ship in the New York state finger lake area in 1982, It has been in JimD's home shop for over 30 years.
It has a travel of 185mm forward and back, 430mm left to right, and 130mm on the spindle. (7.25" x 16.875" x 5.125")
The collet taper is R8.
We do Mill and Lathe certification on an as needed basis. Email the warden to request certification. Only the following people are permitted to certify you on the mill:
Certification Goals – Don’t hurt yourself. Don’t hurt the machine.
- Mill safety and setup
- Tool selection for milling operations
- Holding parts using the machinist vice and parallels
- Change tools and set spindle speeds
- “Zero” the X, Y and Z axis using the DRO
- Perform basic facing cuts on steel
- Mount and secure work using parallels and hold downs
- Demonstrate understanding of Backlash
In preparation for certification please; Read the manufacturers manual and study the excellent materials from Case Western
Take the milling quiz.
https://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=mill-quiz When you have a score of 100% print out the certificate and contact the CNC warden for your certification check ride.
A defect was identified with the Pinion Assembly (enco part number 6116-6S) via borescope on 2/22/2015. Ian and Ryan identified the busticated part.
The endmills are the cutting tools for the milling machine. Wikipedia has a page for these as well.
Hive owns a variety of high speed steel end mills which were purchased used on eBay. They are under the mill labeled 'Good enough'
If you damage one, report it to broken (at) hive13 dot org
WTB (Want to Buy)
- Toolbox // Tool Chest to hold machining parts
- Rotary Table (8"+), one that can be used vertically & horizontally ($100 - $300+)
- Boring head + Boring bar set
- Boring head ~$75
- Boring bar set ~($20 - $60)
Priority Purchase List
Sites to buy from for cheap
Manuals & Guides
- [https://www.scribd.com/doc/58480438/Millrite-Mvn-Manual Online 54 page Maintenance Instructions and Parts List Manual and download link
- Overview of the Millrite line of machines
- User Group for Burke Mill Owners
- Vintage Machinery Website History of the Burke Machine Tool Company
- "Traming" a mill drill
- Motherload of RF-30 Mill Drill guides
- (PDF Link) Interesting book on how to use a milling machine
- The Machinists Handbook
- A Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines (pub 1919)
- Archive.org search for Milling Machine books