Hive13 currently has two printers available for member use. They are both configured through our print server located at deadtrees.at.hive13.org. This has the advantage of centralizing configuration of the printers so that settings need only be changed in one place and also allows both printers to use the generic postscript printer drivers available in Linux, Mac and Windows (XP and up) rather than hunting down the manufacturer drivers. The printers should be configured on all of the spaces PCs. Below are instructions for setting them up on your own computer.
HP Laserjet 4200 (Black and White Laser Printer)
Black and white laser printer, full duplexer (two sided printing).
Xante ColourLaser v9 (Color Laser Printer)
Full color laser printer, no duplexer.
- Make sure you have cups-client installed.
- Edit/create /etc/cups/client.conf with the following contents:
- That's it.
- Go to Control Panel
- On Win 8/10: Go to Devices and Printers
- On Win XP: Go to Printers and Faxes
- Click Add a Printer
- On Win 8/10:
- Click The printer that I want isn't listed
- Click Select a shared printer by name
- In Win XP:
- Add A Printer
- Click A Network Printer, or a printer attached to another computer
- Click Connect to this printer (...
- On Win 8/10:
- Enter the following:
- For Black and White Laser Printer: http://deadtrees.at.hive13.org:631/printers/BWLaser
- For Color Laser Printer: http://deadtrees.at.hive13.org:631/printers/ColorLaser
- Under Manufacturer select Generic
- Under Printers select select MS Publisher Imagesetter
- Etc, etc.
- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaha *whew*
- No, but seriously. You're on your own.