4x6 metal bandsaw
|List of All Documented Equipment|
|Hive13 Asset Tag: None|
|Make/Model: Harbor Freight 4x6 Metal Bandsaw (google)|
|Arrival Date: 08/2012|
|Does it work?: Yes|
|Certification Needed?: No|
|Contact: Metalshop Warden|
|Floorplan: Welding / Metal Forming|
The metal bandsaw we currently have is a red Harbor Freight 4x6 metal bandsaw. It was about $200 when purchased and many modifications are needed to make it a decent bandsaw.
- Blade size?
How to Use
Video taken during the summer 2013 welding class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0LVbUzALU
A handful of the todo items are marked yahoo group and come from this post: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/4x6bandsaw/conversations/topics/5292 Apologies for the formatting. (in order of priority)
- Make a new stand for it. The support rollers we bought are too tall for the current stand so it is propped up on wood. There are a lot of really nice stand designs out there.
- Very nice stand: http://m3coupe.com/Welding/Bandsaw_Stand/20140126_154603.jpg
- Replace the v belt with a nice link belt. This will help reduce noise quite a lot.
- Add tapped holes for milling clamps for more complex work pieces, or short pieces.
- Just like this: http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/jfear_mod3.jpg
- Use high quality blades.
- This website suggests the Irwin variable tooth 10-14 tpi blade from enco ($25). http://www.dennisatwood.com/tools/harbor-freight-4x6-bandsaw/
- Replace the spring downfeed adjustment with a hydraulic system. This can really help the quality on thin wall materials like tubing and angle iron.
- Install a stop bolt for setting the miter at 45 degrees.
- Replace nut for adjusting the angle to a t nut/captured nut to stop it from spinning when being tightened.
- Add a coolant system so we don't have to stand there spraying it with wd40.
- Should be easy enough to do especially if it is built in to a new stand.
- Install thumb screws for safety covers and shields to make it easier to change the blade with no tools.
- Fix the automatic shut off switch so that it actually works. I think we need to adjust the tension of the switch so it switches off easier.
- Increase size of vertical position cutting table. There are simple designs that can be left on the saw at all times.
- Replace wheels with something sturdier.
- Add a light (maybe).
17 September 2014
- Gearbox cleaned out and oil replaced with Mobil SHC 634. Nows runs MUCH quieter. There was a bit of sand and some metal filings in the gearbox.
- Moved to the dirty room which is where almost all of the metal working equipment is moving.
- Done by Jon N