60 gallon air compressor

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Metalworking Shop


Hive13 Equipment
List of All Documented Equipment
IR 60 gallon compressor.jpg
Owner/Loaner: Hive13
Make/Model: Ingersoll Rand 2340L5 (google)
Arrival Date: 27 March 2015
Does it work?: Yes
Certification Needed?: no
Contact: Metalshop Wardens
Floorplan: 3D
Manual: Manual
60_gallon_air_compressor.png



Overview

Donated by Color 3D, inc. Replaces the 30 gallon air compressor as the main air compressor. 60 gallon air compressor rated for 14.7 SCFM @ every pressure up to its max of 175 PSI.

This compressor needs oil fairly regularly. XL-300 or equivalent oils may be used.

Manual can be found here: Manual

  • Model No: 2340
  • Serial No: 4004877
  • Max PSI: 175PSI
  • Voltage: 230V

Status

Completely working and in good shape.

The tank is pressurized to 175PSI with a regulator on the output to lower it to 100PSI.

An automatic drain does a purge every night at 4am, 5am, and 6am. Tank has been fairly dry because of this.

TODO

  • Buy XL-300 oil to have in reserve.
  • Add an air drier/filter to the intake. Especially if people start using the sand blaster in the dirty room.
  • Possibly run the automatic drain line outside of the hive?
  • Possibly run an air line outside for bike and car tires.
  • Add a switch/detector to the lasers so if there is no pressure in the lines the lasers can't be used.
  • map out all air drops in the hive.

Hard plumbed lines

  • 1/2" black pipe that has been run around the hive.
  • All quick connects except the air reel and laser have a valve below them to drain any water buildup in the pipes.

Done

  • Placed in permanent home
  • Bought isolation rubber/pads for the feet.
  • Nice automatic drain acquired (thanks Bloodwolf!)
  • firmly attach it to the ground/a rigid mount with isolation.
  • Figure out what pressure it is set to. (175 psi and not very adjustable)
  • Get our air reel fixed (use a hydraulic hose shop like http://www.pirtekusa.com/fwp/readingroad/).


Work Log

30 April 2015

  • Attached to vibration isolation mount
  • Removed previous 3/4" copper output and attached 1/2" black pipe output.
  • Removed drain plug and installed automatic electronic drain.

2 May 2015

  • Fixed the air reel.

20 May 2015

  • Installed piping throughout the hive.

6 August 2016

  • The auto drain kept getting small bits of rust stuck in it causing it to leak. Greg and Jon decided it was probably time to do some yearly maintenance and clean out the tank.
  • A draino (primarily bleach)/water mix was poured in to clean out any gunk in the bottom of the tank. Plenty of surprisingly large pieces of rust came out with this. We did this a few times until no more pieces of rust came out.
  • While taking apart the pressure regulator part we noticed that some of the wiring was corroding. Greg went out and bought some cable and a new plug that is much nicer than the old cable/plug.