April 25, 2009
|Previous Meeting: April 25, 2009||Meeting Procedure||Next Meeting: May 9, 2009|
First meatspace meeting!
- 1 Location
- 2 Agenda
- 3 Attendees
- 4 Minutes
- 4.1 I. Introductions
- 4.2 II. Organizational discussion
- 4.3 III. Membership
- 4.4 IV. The Physical Space
- 4.5 V. Working Groups
- 4.6 VI. Planning Meetings
- I. Introductions
- II. Organizational discussion
- A. Non-profit, etc
- B. Dealing with Money
- 1. Revenue Stream Brainstorming
- C. Decision making
- III. Membership
- A. First thoughts
- 1. Limits on numbers?
- 2. New member policies and processes
- A. First thoughts
- IV. The Physical Space
- A. Must Haves
- B. Wants
- C. Basic Rules Discussion
- V. Working Groups
- A. Paper Pushers
- B. Meatspacers
- C. Toolmongers
- D. More?
- ChrisA []
- ErikC []
- ChrisH []
- DaveM []
- RyanW []
- JasonC []
- JasonB []
- NathanC []
- ChrisM []
- JohnM []
- GuyD []
II. Organizational discussion
A. Non-profit, etc
501.3(c) requirements? JasonB will own followup by 5/9 Meeting. Nathan says, trick big nonprofits use: create 2 corps, corp A that owns all assets. corp B does all the "work." corp A does business with corp B (leasing space, etc). infrastructure then becomes safer from liability and if change is needed, corp b can dissolve and corp c can form, etc.
B. Dealing with Money
1. Revenue Stream Brainstorming
- Membership dues
- Paid Lectures
- eCommerce web site
- Purchase equipment, sell time
- Selling soda etc - vending machines,
- Have separate meeting space, separately physically secured from where tools etc are
C. Decision making
- Legal requirements for having a board
- rotating board members who make decisions. small group for controlling infrastructure. suggestion for large group for controlling membership issues.
- complete transparancy is important. bank statements open, etc.
- One of these hackerspaces in another city has organized as Vocational School - which one? What are the benefits?
- We need to always consider insurance policies
- Need to draft a limit of liability contract
A. First thoughts
1. Limits on numbers?
- Not be limited terribly at first, don't want to discourage interest
- Are scene whores really a problem? If they're paying and not wasting space, let them come.
- Nathan suggests keeping as small as possible (based on financial considerations for space) and plan for expansion later.
- Dave suggests keeping initial meetings smaller until we get more decisions made.
2. New member policies and processes
- DaveM suggests restrictive membership process
- ChrisA concerned with limited population interested in this sort of endeavor
- NathanC summarized the policy, "Turn No One Away, But Don't Advertise"
- JasonC says, "what do we want to call ourselves?"
- ChrisA suggests the legal entity will have a very generic name so that it can fit anything we want later, good idea
- Suggest lockers for members to store sensitive stuff, ErikC indicates we can probably scrounge old high school lockers
IV. The Physical Space
- Space will have electricity, heating, air conditioning, running water, physical security, bathroom
- No other issues that would negatively affect the members or the projects or equipment in the building (leaky roof, bugs, etc)
B. Must Haves
- Ability to run data (phone, cable)
- Must be modifiable, down to electrical infrastructure (breaker panel access)
- 24 access
- Parking, preferably secured
- Must have no problems with noise
- Shower facilities
- Utility sinks
- Higher ceilings are better, drop ceiling OK too.
- Carpet sucks. Dirty, flammable, have to clean it. Want at least significant area not carpeted.
- Area where we can hold swap meet or other such large outdoor events (ie, parking lot, field, etc)
- Loading dock
- Garage doors, double doors, or other such large doors
- Open space preferred, we will subdivide as necessary
- Kitchen area
- Ventilation ability, place to build a hood or ability to vent nasty shit.
- Outdoor area (deck etc) for smokers, etc
- Located on ground floor or a big fucking elevator
D. Basic Rules Discussion
- Can the space function as a place to crash?
- Can people stay overnight? Initial reaction is no, then tempered.
- This isn't a hostel, but we should have couches where people can crash
- NathanC suggests that Executive Board has to vote unanimously to let anyone stay. Erik seconds, there should be some permission infrastructure put together.
- JasonC brings up concerns about guests and theft of property, we don't want to risk people's stuff.
- ChrisM brings up question about physical access security, how will it be handled? Not sure, depends on space.
- Food or Drink in working areas?
- Answer postponed dependant on actual space, but "No Sandwiches on Routers" is a given. Guy to report on thermal conductive properties of ham.
- No smoking inside
- Don't steal other people's stuff without asking (materials)
D. Places were looking at, see Google group page
- First look was a bust
- Looking at other spaces actively
- How much can we afford? Not really sure, yet.
- ChrisA suggests pursuing shortest possible lease terms so that we can re-evaluate expansion plans depending on participation
- What is "central" in regards to location? CincyLUG are nerds and did some sort of map-based evaluation, then didn't use it.
V. Working Groups
A. Paper Pushers (Legal)
B. Meatspacers (Space & Infrastructure)
C. Tool and Skillmongers (Equipment and Tool Sourcing)
D. Scroungers and Scavengers (Finders of Things)
E. Propagandists (Design, Schwag, and Naming)
F. Communications (Web, IRC, etc)
VI. Planning Meetings
A. How often?
- Every 2 weeks to start? Yes.
- Next meeting 5/9, 1pm, location TBD, but will default to same Panera in Clifton if no other choices are found.
- Panera sucks (no conf room in Clifton)
- ErikC & ChrisA have contacts and access to various places inside UC Medical, will investigate and advise
- DaveM reports that the Cincy LUG using the library in pleasant ridge, ErikC points out library on Ludlow has room in basement
- Do they have wifi? Dave says yes (he works for the library, restricted to port 80 and 443)
- DaveM followup with feasibilty of meeting in the Library