Atlas 3996 Lathe
|No Longer Hive13 Equipment|
|List of All Documented Equipment|
|Owner/Loaner: Tiffany Bell-Horwath|
|Make/Model: Atlas 3996 (google)|
|Arrival Date: Don't remember|
|Does it work?: Yes|
|Certification Needed?: Yes|
Atlas 3996 lathe on loan from Tiffany's father. 36" between stocks. 9" swing. Can do a decent range of SAE threads, possibly metric. Somewhere between 30 and 50 years old. Unknown condition.
The manual can be found here: media:Atlas_Lathe_12_3996_manual.pdf.
Metric gear chart found here: media:Atlas_Early_12_in_Metric_Gear_Chart.pdf.
Tiffany recommends joining https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/atlas_craftsman/info
Manual of lathe operations and machinists tables found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5npc6c4zpt25es/manual%20of%20lathe%20operation%20and%20machinists%20tables.pdf
August 22nd, 2014
Removed leadscrew and apron. Leadscrew was removed by unfastening bearing at rhs of lathe--2 socket cap screws--and removing set screw from collar at lhs of lathe. Apron was then removed by unfastening 2 cap head screws at lhs and rhs of carriage to apron joint.
March 29th, 2014
- Lathe was received and moved in to position in the dirty room.
- Lathe is covered in rust, chips, dirt, etc. Doesn't look too badly worn which is pretty good. Needs a good amount of work to get it in to shape!
- One of the handles on the quick change gear set vanished on the ride down. Dave Leer is looking for a new one online.
- Tailstock was disassembled and cleaned. It has a bit of rust, but seems to be in good condition. It has a #2 Morse Taper.
- Jim Shealy immediately tried to use it to bore a hole in a copper end cap. Didn't work super well, but we have a 1/2" drill chuck on order!
- Cleaned the ways a bit. Still needs a looootttt of cleanup work.
<gallery> File:Atlas 3.jpg| File:Atlas 2.jpg| File:Atlas 1.jpg| </galley>