Board Meeting - August 13th, 2018

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Board Meetings
Previous: July 9th, 2018 Meeting Procedure Next: September 10th, 2018

Agenda

  • Review of Action Items from last meeting
  • Open Finance Website updates
  • Membership Status
    • Instead of a monthly report, start a weekly thread
      • E-mail the membership report to the Leadership list to kick off each week's thread
        • Should have delinquent members
        • Discussion about what to do can happen there
        • Automatic notifications would be nice - once intweb handles payments, this should be a thing.
    • Update membership application policies
      • What to do with the new bylaw changes?
      • How long before an application expires?
      • What constitutes progress or continued interest on an applicant's part?
  • intweb
    • What can it do to make your job easier?
    • New features
      • Membership Application
    • Features under development
      • PayPal integration
      • Certifications
    • In the Future
      • Tool Reservation
    • Bug or feature request? Put it on GitHub. See Greg or Ian for help with that.
  • Warden positions to fill
    • Metal - Open
  • OOD to take notes during the Tuesday meeting
  • Discord or Slack to replace IRC
    • It requires too much technical know-how to use
    • The only active members active on IRC are Ryan, Greg, Dark Ian, and sometimes Nancy.
    • Unless there's a technical reason for one over the other, it's probably a coin flip as to which one to use
  • Re-invigorating Hive Culture
    • Ordo ex chao
    • Social Events
      • Movie Night
      • Board Game Night
      • Open House
        • At the wardens' meeting, we started putting together a list of what has to be done before an Open House
        • Set a date based on how much time is needed
        • Advertise the hell out of this
          • reddit
          • Cincinnati Discord
          • Made in Camp Week
    • Outreach
    • reddit weekend happenings
    • Classes

Minutes

  • The meeting began with a review of online permissions, removing old leadership and adding new leadership to the appropriate mailing list and systems.
  • Review of action items from the last meeting.
    • Ryan seems to have lost the minutes. Because Ryan is incompetent.
  • Review of membership status
    • 90 day lapsed member access has been removed.
    • Newly lapsed members have appeared on the list. Ian will contact these members to ask if they've intended to cancel.
    • Ian has added a new summary only report, sent to leadership on Tuesdays.
      • This will automatically generate a weekly discussion thread to ease review of these topics.
  • Updates to membership application policies
    • Should we now be quicker to accept new members, given that they can be removed if problems arise?
      • Dave V
        • This goes to attempts to grow the Hive. We need targeted rather than broadcast advertising to ensure new members are interested in the space.
      • Greg A
        • We can now take membership applications through intweb. This will also generate a post to the mailing list.
        • Could we assign an individual to guide the applicant through the process?
      • Kevin
        • Any barrier to entry will reduce membership. Tuesday may be a difficult schedule for people.
        • Kevin likes the idea of directing people to the appropriate warden meeting.
        • Are we attaching pictures to applications? Greg says yes.
      • Will B
        • We've made some changes to the way leadership is notified. We run with this for a month and see how much faster it drives the process.
  • Intweb
    • New Features
      • Membership applications were previously discussed.
      • What can intweb do to ease your work?
      • Discussion of adding trouble ticketing system to intweb.
        • Ian B - Just add more signage directing people to email wardens.
        • Discussion of how, or whether to notify people of offline equipment when they don't follow the mailing list.
        • Better signage
        • social media blasts
    • Upcoming features
      • Certifications
      • Paypal integration.
  • Replace IRC with discord or slack?
    • Dave and Kevin needed an introduction to online chat workflows.
    • Ian is concerned that the limitations of Slack's free account vs the cost of their hosted account would be a long term problem.
  • Discussion of resorting the member storage so less frequent users might use higher slots.
  • IanB asks - once the online voting system is fully available, should we consider an "opt-out" feature for voting, to address the (potential) problem of reaching quorum?
    • Possibly people could flag auto-abstain in the voting system.
    • We could add a "click to abstain on all votes" shortcut.
  • Kevin asks Dave - You were talking about focusing on demographics with outreach.
    • Kevin suggests that we might do some basic SEO to make us more discoverable.
    • Dave suggest exploring the business model of other community workshops.
  • Reinvigorating Hive culture
    • Kevin asks if Greg can do an introductory warden hours post.
    • Social Events
      • Wardens will handle classes and warden hours.
      • What about movie and board game night?
    • Wardens are assembling a list of prerequisites for an open house.
      • Ian suggests nailing down the application process before holding an open house.
      • Made in camp is Saturday, October 13th
      • When should our open house be?
      • Saturday. Possibly October 20th or Nov 3.