Board Meeting - February 14th, 2022

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Board Meetings
Previous: January 10th, 2022 Meeting Procedure Next: March 14th, 2022

Time: 7:30 PM
Place: Google Meet Telecom
To join the video meeting, click this link:
Otherwise, to join by phone, dial +1 302-751-5581 and enter this PIN: 260 934 004#
To view more phone numbers, click this link:


COVID Management


Established Committee Updates

  • Finance
  • Outreach
  • Technology
  • Operations
  • Kitchen

New Committees

  • Newly Formed
    • Hot Crafts Committee
  • Potential Additional Committees
    • Electronics (already exists as Sparks?)
    • 3D Printing (already exists as 3D Thursdays?)
    • Fiber Arts (already exists as Needlecraft Night?)
    • Lasers
    • Woodworking
    • Welding
    • Machining


Discuss Markup for Warden Bylaw revision. [[1]]

Other issues

Discuss how to construct a Strategic Plan.

  • At minimum include:
    • Exercise Option to expand to 17,500 sqft. Eventually we must use or lose this option.
    • Growing the Hive13 Community of Makers.
      • Continued commitment to a more diverse and representative membership.
      • Makership grant program.[[2]]

If we're to continue hybrid meetings, we need clear documentation for basic AV set up.

  • John C did make some bullet points, gave to Heath, Kayla and Dave V on 3d Thursday
  • Wiki page?
  • Rotation? Designated few people? Can't rely on John to always be responsible for it
    • On subject of rotation - rotation sheet for tours?


start time: 7:33pm ET

end time:


  • Kayla L.
  • Kostas P.
  • Chris D.
  • Jackson B.
  • Dax K.
  • Dave V.
  • Dave S.
  • Kate C
  • John C.
  • Kevin M.
  • Heath B.
  • Jim D.


  • We did lose a few members, resulting in about -$400 a month in cash.
    • but we are trending up :)
  • Strategic Planning
    • want to make sure that the hive has it's bottom line covered
    • endowment means that someone can ensure that the hive stays running
    • endowment can have a mission
    • probably should be separate organization
  • From Jim:

The January financials are done.  The Open Finance site is updated with the latest numbers.  Membership climbed slightly from 136 to 138 and all is good.

Consider the following as a BRIEF SUMMARY:

- For Jan. 2022 we are at 138 members with membership revenue of $5,434. - For reference, in Jan. 2021 we were 107 members at $4,270, and are now down from a high in Nov. 2021 at 147 members at $5,809. - Our Jan. 2022 "Fixed Expenses" (Rent, Insurance, PP Fees, Warden Budget and MRO vote) were $3,428. - Our Jan. 2022 "Discretionary Expenses" were $1,623 for membership vote reimbursements. - We started the month with $31,625 in operating funds and ended the month at $32,008. Of this ending balance, $25,110 is "encumbered funds" (for the 6-month rainy day reserve, lump-sum membership pre-payments, AC Fund Drive unspent balance, and budgeted-but-not-yet-spent membership votes).

- We have a current allowance of $6,898 available for discretionary purposes.

Recent SLACK posts have favored creating a Hive13 "Strategic Plan".  I continue to encourage  the finance committee and leadership to adapt that goal to find and organized way for membership to propose, consider, discuss, and determine a consensus priority plan for how we choose to spend such discretionary funds going forward.

Starting to verify 2021 finances for annual federal and state filing. Little progress on Quick Books Online Plus, but intent is to match QBO+ 2021 accounting with these filings.


  • meeting on wednesday!
  • honeycombs, t-shirts, and parades are on the agenda!
  • wiki update days?
    • probably need to consider having a more "focused" on specific areas of the hive.


  • Sharps container by the end of the week.
    • Kostas :)
  • John will be gathering thoughts, and will have a better update next month.
  • Todo/wishlist would be very nice
    • would really take all of the guess work out of it.


  • Feb is a short month, Kayla to get her things together for March

New Committees

  • Board votes in favor to instantiate the Hot Craft Committee with Kevin as the Head.
    • The motivation is really to draw more people who are interested in the area to actually help with the area.
    • Kevin feels strongly that the other wards would greatly benefit from forming their own meetings.


  • Vote to approve Coy as CNC Warden
    • Vote passes
  • Ralph leaving lasers
    • Heath stepping up to be 3D Printing Warden
    • John proposing that Heath and Ralph become "co-wardens" until Ralph leaves.
  • Wood shop warden
    • Pi is stepping up, but does changing the warden need to be discussed?
    • John will use his best judgement
  • Kevin idea for us to think about: what if we changed how the wardens were selected
    • when each ward committee met (each month) the committee would vote who would be the warden for the month
  • We have a warden list on the wiki, but...
    • do we need more visible contact information for wards?

Other Issues:

  • We need better documentation for emergency contacts
    • kayla going to get with Drew to get a survey out to members and collect contacts
  • Strategic Planning
    • Chris D. contact has some experience with this
    • Probono partnership also available
    • Dave V. leading heading this up
  • some action items:
    • Audit Student and Warden membership discounts
    • Remove Warden discount
    • Make wardens heads of Committee