December 10, 2013
From Hive13 Wiki
|Previous Meeting: December 3, 2013||Meeting Procedure||Next Meeting: December 17, 2013|
Time: 7:30 PM
- Snow was lame and caused game day cancellation
- Space Rehab
- Security camera setup postponed--It will start 5-ish tomorrow night. 4 cables need to be run.
- Roof leak
- T-shirts--design was sent out to list
- New acquisitions/donations for kitchen
- Shop tool turnover
- Mike--interest in DIY-bio workshop with Genomikon?
- Power tool drag racing in columbus in feb.
- Rob-visitor (welcome!)
- Ian (president)--bought kitchen stuff and putt it on wiki
- Dave-replaced Router
- Nancy-gave someone a sewing lesson
- Jon-space wrangler (COO)--working on CNC mill this week!
- Dave(m)--did Xmas shopping
- Jim--buying stuff for holiday making, grandfather clock and cindy-lou
- Chris-scraped off car
- Hutch--shield for CNC arduino
- Shadoxx AKA Brandon--aruduino stuff, and tire changing
- Ryan--played with home network,
- Tiffany (remote attendee)--passed closed defense
- Dave B(remote attendee)
- Cameras--running wires tomorrow night! Please help!
- Ian sent out the design to the mailing list, it's the same design as last time.
- If we order enough we get a price-break... $13 per T-shirt if we buy $50.
- Ian will be sending out order form. Hive will be buying some extras for future swag too.
- They will be printed by Custom Ink.
- Jon asked about quality, Ian provided reassurance.
- Ian--we should also possibly look at business cards/stickers.
- Jon--vinyl stickers are nice. Dave--will follow up with the guy we got them from last time. Stickermule?
- Tools--Jim opened up the discussion, which lasted ~15 min with many people contributing.
- Table saw, which was owned by Ed, has been taken back.
- Jon: Price range for table saw is wide: from $200 to $2000.
- What other woodworking/metalworking tools do people want?
- Jon--Belt sander for ~$200.
- Sheet metal roller
- Sheet metal break
- Shaddox--kiln? Jon--we have one but its broken. Probably something with wiring.
- Ryan--Router table (we used to have one as part of the table saw)
- Hive has about $21K right now.
- Plan going forward: start looking for a table saw, max price $1000. This will be up for online vote.
- Next step: survey the membership
- Jim will spearhead a committee. Jon and John are helping, contact Jim if you want to help too.
- Suggestion of basic safety course for tools.
- This has been suggested before--it has been slow going
- Jim, + John2.0 can do a monthly training course for table saw
- Bureau of workers comp will train people on shop safety for free.
- Mike: DIY bio
- MIke's been looking at DIYbio projects
- There is a new kit called "Genomikon" that allows DNA hacking of bacteria with minimial equipment
- Kit is $395, plus we would need an incubator, a fridge, and pipetters
- Are people excited about this idea? Objections?...attendees seemed supportive.
- what do you think is a good price point for a workshop where you would "hack" a fluorescent gene into bacteria?
- Some discussion about finding lab equipment--ebay, LabX?
- Mike may do a "2nd Tuesday" talk about DIYbio
- Dave B, from webcam: may be doing a circuits talk soon.
' Jim--Power tool drag racing
- Maker faire at museum center next year
- February 2nd tool show in Columbus--invitation to take the track there
- If the show will pay for truck/gas etc, interested Hive members will likely have the opportunity to do some tool racing in Feb.
- Ian wants a hive-shaped cookie cutter.
- Will probably do a stencil to decorate cookies.
- Ian will not be around this weekend. If you need him to do something, find him before Thursday. or do it yourself.
- Emily--has some stuff to donate if anyone wants it: broken paint sprayer and "chandelier" portion of a ceiling fan