February 4, 2014
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Previous Meeting: January 28, 2014||Meeting Procedure||Next Meeting: February 11, 2014|
Time: 7:30 PM
Space: Due to weather, this meeting was held via google hangout
- CPS "Science Night"
- Boone County library science session(s)
- Space improvement
- Ian (Virtual)
- Mike (Virtual)
- Tiffany (Virtual)
- Shadoxx (at the hive)
- Tiffany (virtual)
- Marvin (Virtual)
- Don Hutch (Virtual)
- Tyler (Virtual)
- Jon (Virtual)
- CPS science nights--Ian had conversation with 2-3 teachers.
- They want hands-on discovery learning type exhibits with take-away component
- Ian immediately thought of:
- celery and food coloring
- herb gardens with plastic bottles
- 3D printing
- They are comfortable with us prepping, attending, helping out
- They would like us to team up with a parent
- It will be at end of march probably
- They might also like us to build a light table to display electronics
- Marvin--perhaps it would be a good idea to have a set budget for service projects
- Ian--Hive's fixed cost is only to build displays, CPS will pay for consumables
- Marvin--it would be good to keep track of what service we do.
- Ian: each school is looking to spend less than $500.
- That we don't need much $ from them, makes us more attractive.
- Mike--Boone County library
- Krista from the library has sent out an email to the ~5 people who had volunteered to host science sessions
- She's still excited about the idea, and is considering doing 1 big event for everyone's presentations
- This would likely be a Saturday in June
- Krista would like to know whether we want 1 event or separate sessions.
- Mike--1 event would be more difficult to organize than separate sessions
- Ian--volunteering would probably work better at a single event, members could help where they are comfortable
- Most of the members who volunteered are not at the meeting, Mike will send out an email
- Discussion continued:
- Marvin: hive rather than individual members should spend $ on service
- Marvin: do we have 2 or 3 things that are a turnkey situation--5 projects or whatever that we can take to places?
- we don't have it now but it would be great to have
- Hutch: "micro-faire" available to take to several schools and libraries would be great
- Marvin would like to create a project that is educational, and donate it for our service outreach
- Space improvement
- Jon: bought a couple new tools.
- Jon: pallet racks: going to use Dave B's contact, who will sell close to cost
- Hopefully will get this quote tomorrow.
- Jon: we should talk more about the school thing more in-depth, in person.
- One thing to talk about is, what extent to we want to fund this vs charging.
- Jon: we are getting a new-to-us air compressor
- New member James will be bringing us his (woohoo!)
- Ian--are we still planning on doing CNC build-off this weekend?
- Jon--we will discuss this via IRC and make a decision.
- Marvin--sandblaster? asked about this on email, Paul said we have one that needs repair
- Jon--confirms it needs some minimal work, plus the new air compressor an probably a moisture trap.