New Member Orientation
Becoming a member
- Review the Membership Details page
- Come to a Meeting
- Fill out a Liability Waiver.
- Talk with people. Let us know what you are interested in doing or learning. Take a tour of the space.
- We are happy if you want to keep coming around for a week or two to meet more people and make sure you enjoy the community.
- If you like what you see and would like to join Hive13 as a member:
- Fill out a Membership Application on https://intweb.at.hive13.org/. Click Register and fill in the blanks.
- Either have an existing member take your membership identification picture or submit your own.
- Print out a copy of your application, sign it, and turn it in to the Paperwork box by the door.
- Let someone in Hive13 Leadership know that you turned in your application and are interested in joining Hive13.
- We can complete your application and get you registered in minutes.
- Sign up on PayPal once accepted. (See Membership Fees)
- Once your PayPal payment is authorized you will receive a Welcome e-mail further connecting you to Hive13 resources.
- Get an RFID card and learn how to access the space.
- Go on an orientation tour with a member of Hive13 Leadership.
- Meet our community and make something awesome!
Important New Member Info
- We are a 24/7 space, you may work on whatever you want, whenever you want.
- List of Officers and their responsibilities.
- Our Bylaws are located on GitHub. Please read through them!
- Area Wardens are in charge of maintaining various sections of the Hive. Feel free to ask them any questions related to their area.
- List of documented equipment. NOTE: Some equipment requires training/certification prior to unsupervised use.
New Member Tour
- Ask the new member: What are you interested in? What would you like to learn?
- Verify PayPal accepts their payment
- Orientation E-mail
- Front Door Code
- Demonstrate how the RFID Access works
- Community is our strength
- Hive13 Culture Thrives on your contribution. Hive13 is a do-ocracy.
- Spy Camera - Find out who's in and what's going on
- Open/Close Switch
- Light Switch Locations
- Electrical Room and Breaker Panels
- Soda Machine
- Certification Tools
- Buzzkill to report problems
- Warden Hours
- Lock the Back Door
- Woodshop Dust Collection
- Member Storage and how to get a slot
- How to Shut Down Hive
Startup procedures - How to open the Hive
- Turn on the lights! Area light switches are on the black support pillars in the kitchen and meeting area. The main space light switch is by the back door.
- Turn on the "Hive Open" switch on the kitchen counter. Only do this if you're prepared to let in new people.
- Report problems - Report broken or missing tools via our tracking tool or email the wardens.
- Respect the tools
- If you are unfamiliar with the proper operation of a machine or tool, research it on the wiki. Also contact the area warden or an officer before use.
- If you don't understand a tool, leave it alone. Don't mess with something you don't understand.
- Clean as you go - As with cooking in your own kitchen, cleaning at the hive is more easily managed in small bursts of activity. Put tools away and clean minor messes whenever you have a few moments of downtime.
- Respect our residential neighbors - Quiet hours are from 10:30pm - 8am. No loud tools/music including: angle grinders, belt and disk sanders, air compressor/air tools, CNCs, etc.
Take a tour of the space
|Hive13 Virtual Tour|
Here are some pages that might help familiarize you with what Hive13 is all about.
|To take a tour in person, visit us on a Tuesday night or anytime we have a scheduled event.|
The website ( http://www.hive13.org ) has a "Space Status" icon that will show you when the hive is open or closed to visitors. Anyone at the weekly Tuesday night meeting will be happy to show you around.