Inkscape Honeycomb Tiles
This tutorial shows how to create a seamless honeycomb vector based tile in Inkscape.
Step 1: Set Document Properties
First we want a black background.
- File->Document Properties
- Click background
- Choose a black color (Or whatever you like)
- Close Dialogs
Step 1: Create a Hexagon
- Choose the toolbox button for creating stars and polygons (*)
- Set it to polygon with 6 corners (Top toolbar)
- Draw out a hexagon and set any kind of image properties you like. In this example I used a green stroke color with a green inner gradient.
- Then place the hexagon in the upper left corner just outside of the page boundaries
Step 2: Use Clone Tile Settings
- Goto Edit->Clone->Create Tiled Clones...
- Click on the Shift Tab and create your settings like those below. The bottom rows x columns can be smaller depending on the size of your initial hexagon. 100x100 will do 10,000 hexagons and may take a while but should fill your page.
- Then click the Create Button
You can now zoom out to see the whole page. Hint: There is a button in the top toolbar of a magnifying glass and a page underneath that does this for you. Your image should look like this one:
See Also: Inkscape Honeycomb Tiles - Technique #2