Intweb and Google Groups Migration Thoughts
Migrating from Google Groups to Discourse
This was all moved to: Discourse - Older Migration Notes
Yes, the thing we've been procrastinating for 2+ years...
This is what Nathaniel Lyttle of Club Cyberia told us about.
Azure AD B2C
Another open source one that Chris Davis mentioned: https://civicrm.org/
- They have online demos: https://civicrm.org/demo
- Look near the bottom of this for "Additional Demos & Testing Sandboxes".
- This has to integrate with another CMS; they list Backdrop, Joomla, Drupal, and Wordpress. (That's sort of a benefit because we can configure it, but sort of a drawback because that's another thing we have to configure.)
- As far as I know, authentication/identity is up to the CMS
- has an API associated with the account (for getting json dumps of out data)
- $80(ish) a month
- NOTE: As of April 2022 we are exploring Tendenci for implementation in a sandbox Azure environment. See SLACK Hive13_it_infrastructure for ongoing discussion.
- It is open source
- There is a demo: https://demo.tendenci.com/
- I guess it has some kind of built-in support for forms; see https://demo.tendenci.com/forms/
- "Tendenci supports recurring payments when using Stripe or Authorize.net as the payment gateway."
- "You can select between four of the most trusted and most reliable online merchant account providers to connect with Tendenci’s payment gateway – Stripe, Authorize.Net, PayPal PayFlow Link and First Data." (here)
- Has SSO via oAuth2
- There is some sort of API, and they also say There is nothing to prevent you to program additional apps that query your database directly.
Dave's message from 2021 July
Before somebody goes and bites into a wild apricot. Here are some resources to read through.
Here is my short shot on how to select a software provider
- First prioritize requirements and identify the deal-breakers.
- Determine a working budget for the software and any professional services needed
- Do an analysis of vendors
- Conduct a hands-on tests of the top system(s) and call references.
- There's no quick way to pick a complex piece of software. It has to fit our needs, budget, and technical capacity.
The list below is the result of my research this afternoon on providers of Association management software
I'm sure this isn't a complete list.
Before we pick one of them and commit to an effort, we should do the upfront work required.
Let's do the requirements list first.
For Profit Companies
- Anonymously Yours https://anonymously-yours.org/
- Internet 4 Associations https://www.internet4associations.com
- MatrixMaxx https://www.matrixgroup.net/matrixmaxx
- Membee https://www.membee.com/
- MemberClicks https://www.memberclicks.com/memberclicksfaq
- MemberLeap https://memberleap.com/
- MemberZone https://www.growthzone.com/
- NonprofitEasy aka Fundly CRM https://nonprofiteasy.com/
- TCS https://www.associationsoftware.com/aws/TCSLABS/pt/sp/demo
- Wild Apricot https://wildapricot.com
- Your Membership https://www.yourmembership.com
Evaluation thoughts for software packages to replace all or parts of IntWeb is here.