January 28, 2014
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Previous Meeting: January 21, 2014||Meeting Procedure||Next Meeting: February 4, 2014|
Time: 7:30 PM
Space: Anchor Building, 2929 Spring Grove Ave.
- Space improvement
- CPS "Science Night"
- James--Raspberry Pi class and making robot
- Tye--nothing exciting
- Jon--worked on CNC mill, broke a chair tonight
- Hutch--working on online courses on CS and embedded systems
- Jim S.--futon frame is operational
- Brandon AKA Shaddox--designed a bunch of instruments for album.
- Ryan--welded book shelves, heckled Jon
- Nancy--working on bunch rug and recycled welder wire
- Hodapp--graced by Shadoxx's presence.
- Jordan--stayed warm
- Bill--brought in parts for a CNC plasma cutter.
- Dave--cleaning up EJunk
- Brad--working on cosplay weapon project
- James--donating novelty chicken zip ties
- Ian--may have misquoted pallet racks originally--but should still be on budget.
- Dave B's connection for someone who will sell close to cost may be the way to go.
- Jon--concrete floor. Not happening right now. Unfortunately it would be very prone to cracking.
- The idea was to improve the dirty room with a floor that's level and fireproof
- Recommendation by Jon's dad (contractor): levelling compound, fire-proof plywood
- Ian's suggestion: concrete board for the wall it can go on the wall. Jon: drywall is cheaper and fireproof.
- James agrees--modern drywall is fireproof.
- Upgrading the floor would still be great, but is not an immediate priority
- Jon--Hive temporary hive un-improvements
- Radial arm saw's blade was dull, removed, will replace
- Jim S replaced the blade on the bandsaw (thanks!)
- Grinder is also temporarily out of commission while Jon welds its stand.
- Dave--table saw lead, but seller has been hard to contact.
- Ian--Cincinnati public schools science nights grades K-6.
- This would start in ~6wks
- We don't know much detail at this point, Ian wants to know if Hive members want to help.
- Ian will be meeting with CPS wed.
- Focus on STEM (obviously). Ties back to things on the tests would be great
- Shadoxx--Boone county public library wants something similar (see emails)
- Some discussion followed.
- Who should pay for supplies?...we (Hive) should absorb the cost, it's a service project.
- Ian--it would be great to have some standardized workshops/classes we could roll out for stuff like this
- Ideas for mini-workshops?
- Learn to solder
- Mike-DNA extraction
- Ian--Circuit building blocks. "Snap circuits," possibily other brands for this.
- membership was generally supportive, and we will go ahead and try to do this!
- Ian--next weekend (not this weekend) we will probably do a hackathon to try and get the CNC plasma cutter together.
- Ian will be working with Jon and Ryan to make sure we have everything we need.
- Ian--Hive air system We want to plumb airlines out from the space.
- Not an immediate project, something to be aware of.
- It would need a water trap: dry air is important for plasma cutter, paint booth, etc
- James--what are we doing for compressor?
- Ian--we have one that needs to be fixed
- James may have one we can take
- Ryan--bring up the Lathe
- Jon--looking at getting a metal lathe.
- $1500 to $2000 for lathe.
- Bill has fixed/leveled the platform on the gigabot
- Bill also has a few electronics housing boxes we could use
- James--what is the status of the giant HP printer?
- It has almost never been used here.
- Jon is still hoping to sell it, but in the meantime it can be used by members.