June 2, 2009
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Previous Meeting: May 23, 2009||Meeting Procedure||Next Meeting: June 9, 2009|
- 1 Coordinates
- 2 Agenda
- 3 Attendees
- 4 Minutes
- 5 Next Actions
Time: 7:00 PM
- I. Paper Pushers
- A. are we incorporated now?
- B. can we get a bank account so we can collect $?
- C. Elect a treasurer or finance committee?
- II. Meatspacers
- A. KOIPound
- B. Any other places visited?
- C. Organized filed trips?
- III. Scroungers / Scavengers
- IV. Tool/Skillmongers Report
- Decide how to list currently working on projects. Whos is running them and how to get involved.
- V. Propagandists
- Got logos?
- IV. Communications Team
- A. we have some domains, courtesy Craig
- B. what tools do we want to use for self hosting? mailman?, MediaWiki? etc...
- C. is anyone using efnet.org?
- D. our number of sites is growing pretty quickly. may comms team needs to have its own sub-meeeting?
- E. Alternate ways to meet remotely, DimDim, VoIP, etc.
- F. Public vs. Private infrastructure
- IIV. Tuesday Pattern
- A. meeting regularity
- B. auxiliary meetings
- C. Modifying the Public Hive13 Events calendar (tweet updates)
- IIIV. Services
- List services (current and possible future)
- Determine which should be public and which to be private (members only)
- Ex: IRC #hive13 (public) internal silc server for projects (members only), Mailing list (public) Code Repository (private), etc.
Chit-Chat (as people are showing up)
- John's employer may have some leads on some spaces
- to what extent do we really need a space to be doing cool stuff
- once we have a bank account we might be able to establish what our financial situation is, how much money are we gonna have, should we collect 3 months rent in advance
- chrisA talking about some people he met at a con that kinda did this thing where they started out just going garage to garage
- khac is not a bad place; I (dave) went to the screenprinting thing and the people were cool
- talking about profile pages / project pages
- craig talking about GSites, user limits
- JasonBailey: we are not a legal entity since we need a board of directors at least two people
- how are we going to choose a board. presumably some form of election
- jason reviewing 501c3 vs. 501c7...
- chrisA; we can always file for whatever later if we become "charitable", but it would be nice to have that legal status ASAP.
- collecting money. who do we give it to, etc, etc.
- dave: boilerplate bylaws? addison: there are some on hackerspaces.org
- willing to be on the board: chris, dave, jason, mike, craig, matt, maybe more...
- post online and let people nominate selves, use moderator to vote on people
- take top N vote-getters. we need 3 legally.
- addison: we should go for 4 at least so in case someone drops off
- people on the board can sign checks
- should we have some organized field trips
- how about having a group craigslist trolling sessions?
- anyone have garages they are willing to let people hang out in
- probably need at least 1000-15000 sq ft
- definitely need some tiered membership probably
- don't want to end up with only 3 people paying all the $$$
- key-holders vs. non-key-holders
- be wary of creating onerous requirements like having to contribute charitable time to maintain 501c3 status or stuff like that
- different people will be needing different space requirements
- we can make the space work whatever it is
- jason: buying is not a smart idea
- matt: having some back up $ if people drop out or lose job
- jason: as a non-profit we have to get $ from membership dues
- good to be in contact with them, learn from them; how did they find their space, how are they organized?
- don't want to be contingent on their success though; want to be independent
- it might be a place to hang out sometimes and get stuff done.
- Gsites has groups like firstname.lastname@example.org
- use sites to make sub- mailing-lists
- so "work groups" can get stuff done independently
- what groups should be a sub-group: meatspacers, comms, propagandists?
- anybody made logos... we haven't seen any yet.
- hive theme is convenient
- IRC is useful. chat.freenode.net #hive13
- jason: cgi-irc on the website?
- dimdim: need to explore more
- jason/nausea can set up an 800 number for the next meeting
- wiki: most people like MediaWiki, let's get that set up wiki.hive13.org
- public vs. private tabled: let's talk about it some more on irc
- craig: twitter stuff... would like to get more use out of that...
- jason: announce ourselves on a follow friday
- regularity. people seem ok with the every week on tuesday thing.
- addison: maybe there should a primary meeting per month. like first one of the month.
- jason: yeah, let's do that. first meeting of the month is the more primary meeting
- craig: there is nifty calendaring stuff on GApps
- we should have a happy hour
- we should have a maker congress / social thingy
- koiburners, league of artisans, bunk, etc.
Anything else? / New guys
- pvince: into programming. got an arduino
- avishaan: more of a builder
- lock picking stuff.... maybe we could have a class
- remy: down for whatever
- do election stuff online: let people nominate themselves, vote
- set up some sub-groups on the Gsites: meatspacers,
- figure out the voice conferencing for next week
- mediawiki set up in progress as we speak...
- happy hour!
- become friends with other makers/hackers/artists/etc
- craig will also set up a picasa album for logo
- we didn't really talk about this, but let's attempt to put some times on this stuff
- addison: let's get the legal stuff done in two weeks. Dave: i agree. asap!