|Start Date: 11/27/2010|
|List of All Documented Equipment|
|Make/Model: Kinect (google)|
|Arrival Date: 12/2010|
|Does it work?: yes|
|Certification Needed?: No|
|Contact: Lounge Warden|
We have a Kinect, we have digital projectors, and we have computers that are set up to communicate with the Kinect. We have tons of C++ and Java coders, as well as Open Frameworks and Processing experience. Let's make some sick video games, digital art, etc. List of kinect hacking demos:
- Hands-free computer interface using kinect, a la Minority Report
- Turn any surface into a piano
- Shadow puppets Kinect demo
- Kinect 3D drawings
- Predator style invisibility with kinect
- Ignites room using Kinect and Cinder
- Guy deforms his body in real time
- Similar to above, another self deformation
- Guy puts a little Doom monster on his desktop in real time using Kinect
- Switches the faces of two people in real time.
- Uses two kinects for crazy self rendering
- 3D interpolation using Kinect (just like in the super bowl)
- Another 3d interpolation example
- Data representation demo
- Pretty comprehensive kinect video hacking blog
- Another comprehensive kinect video hacking blog
Got the Kinect November 27th. Kinect is hooked up to a Ubuntu 10.10 Open Frameworks (Linux64). Still tossing around ideas for projects.
Current work is being done on the machine named Slim. Development is installed under the hive13 account in the ~/Devel folder.
To use rgb-demo the device has already been calibrated. Use:
./bin/rgbd-viewer --calibration kinect_calibration.yml
We are using arturo's branch of ofxKinect. If you want to start over with a fresh copy:
git clone https://github.com/arturoc/ofxKinect.git git clone https://github.com/memo/ofxKinect-demos.git
To check out a demo in openframeworks (which works!)
http://www.openframeworks.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5103&p=25600&hilit=arturo#p25600 - Guy having same problems as us, the resolution is to add addons/ofxKinect/libfreenect/tilt.c to the project
Note: codeblocks must be run as root, otherwise it can't access some libraries/ object files
Update(12/7/10): Need to clean up the code still, but we have our first demo! A ball bounces around the screen, if it hits you it bounces off. Flips the screen to make it a little easier to block the ball.
Update(12/8/10): Fakenect is working now. In console type:
FAKENECT_PATH=/home/hive13/Desktop/thanksgiving1 LD_PRELOAD=/home/hive13/Desktop/libfreenect/build/lib/fakenect/libfreenect.so.0.0.1 /home/hive13/Desktop/libfreenect/build/bin/glview
Where FAKENECT_PATH is your pre-recorded kinect footage, LD_PRELOAD is the fakenect's special driver, and glview is the standard test program that comes with the driver.
To record video,
mkdir /home/hive13/Desktop/libfreenect/build/utils/temp2 /home/hive13/Desktop/libfreenect/build/utils/record temp2
Note: You must make the directory before outputting video to it.
Figuring out vrui so we can get okreylos' stuff working.
- Project Ideas
- Artists (No coding experience needed necessarily)
- Coders (No artistic qualities needed necessarily)
- To learn Cinder, a C++ creative coding API
- More publicity (post flyers that linked below, talk to friends that might be interested, tweet, blog
- A Fast Fourier Transform that will help find beats of songs, or some other technique to find beats for songs. Anyone know something that could help?
Nov. 30th, 2010.
Open Frameworks is installed on the computer the kinect is attached to.
Dec. 2nd, 2010.
Flyers posted at DAAP. Hopefully students that lack the proper equipment or technical know-how will come collaborate on some projects. Note: student memberships are only $13.37.
Dec. 12th, 2010
SVN up of the helloWorld kinect program. Soon we'll have concise instructions for downloading the helloWorld program on your computer at home, setting up fakeNect, and then developing without a kinect. Link to SVN (need an account to download code)
Dec. 13th, 2010