|Hive13 CNC Projects|
|CNC Router, CNC Router Build, DIY CNC Router, Gigabot, Hive13 CNC Projects, Hive13 Stepper Motor Driver Board, Inkjet Eggbot, MakerBot, Mendel, Plasma CNC Cutter, Shapeoko|
|Start Date: 11/27/2009|
|No Longer Hive13 Equipment|
|List of All Documented Equipment|
|Make/Model: RepRap Mendel (google)|
|Does it work?: No|
|Certification Needed?: Yes|
|Contact: Dave Menniger|
"Mendel" is the name for the second generation RepRap design - it's a self-replicating 3d printer. We're going to make a Mendel using the MakerBot. For more see: http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/RepRap_Version_II_%22Mendel%22
Printing all the parts is effectively done.
The next major step is assembly.
The biggest missing piece is the lasercut parts.
- 3 X M3 grub screws (5mm length?)
- 4 X M3X15 bolts;
- 2 X M3X35 bolts;
- 4 X Springs - 1 mm diameter wire, wound to an OD of 10 mm
- Print Mendel Parts on MakerBot
- part files available here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1134
- parts description and how many of each you need: http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/Mendel_parts_more_info
- Acquire additional hardware (nuts, bolts, etc)
- see data sheet for BOM http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/Mendel_assembly_data_sheet
- source of cheap bearings http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit9060
- Acquire electronics
- Either from MakerBot, or use James' design
- detailed build instructions: http://objects.reprap.org/wiki/How_to_make_RepRap_Version_II_Mendel
- Option: Print using PLA
- currently available from http://ultimachine.com/content/pla-natural-5lb
Dave cut some threaded M8 rod to length and mocked up a frame side using that and the printed frame vertices.
Heated build platform working well. Created a Flickr set for this Mendel: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave_menninger/sets/72157623332559510/
MakerBot parts came in today! Now we have RepRap board, extruder controller and 3 stepper controllers. (still want to test James' design as well)
Electronics were in stock at MakerBot.com for less than 24hrs. Ed squeezed in an order for the Gen3 kit (separate components were already sold out) although we want to use James' circuit board for this when he's ready for testing.
Ed is seeing if a friend can fabricate a couple of these babies out of aluminum:
See site for more details: http://pleasantsoftware.com/developer/3d/2009/12/06/back-to-the-extruder/
NEMA 17 Stepper motors are in!
Black ABS plastic is in for Mendel project
Ed volunteers to lead this project