Outreach Committee Meeting - October 20th, 2021
|Outreach Committee Meetings|
|Previous: September 15th, 2021||Meeting Procedure - Outreach Committee||Next: November 17th, 2021|
Wednesday, October 20 · 7:30 – 9:00pm
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/tkp-kgvm-tnw
Or dial: (US) +1 617-675-4444 PIN: 130 165 105 0696#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/tkp-kgvm-tnw?pin=1301651050696
- John Clark
- Will Bauer
- Marilyn Clark
Agenda - Old Business
Made in Camp Recap
How did it go? What went well? What could we do better?
What was attendance like?
- Most didn't show up until about 4, since we were near the end of the round
- 3 new members
- We are a bit off the route
- Learn to Solder w/ Brad went well
- Light attendance, Dave V. was a bit disappointed in that.
- Sign on the door, and a person who answered the phone
- Next year:
- We could try a bit more advertising ourselves around the event
- Better signage? Talk to Wavepool about that
- Maybe get some kind of promotional images.
- Maybe something outside (Learn to solder station outside, utilize the loading dock, Will wants to 'Run the Poofer')
New Member Orientation
- Orientation Handout page exists now
- Create a QR code printout near the signin table that links to New Member Orientation
- Continue to flesh out the orientation handout, fill in each sub-heading with the relevant info.
- Put it in a formatted document
Tour Guide Recruitment
- We have a bulleted list of tour topics on the New Member Orientation page
- I am assuming we still need to recruit tour guides, we consider making an announcement at a regular meeting.
2nd Tuesday Speakers
- Brad & his boss Ben did a talk.
- November speaker?
- Jim mentioned on slack that Kate Cook has a speaker lined up for November 9th ( https://hive13.slack.com/archives/CCCQU96N5/p1634772914422500)
- Make Do in Pleasant Ridge, maybe have the owner to do a talk about her store & knitting & textile arts
- Is this a compensated event for the speaker?
- Paul: Historically this has been a volunteer event // unpaid.
- Have a list of speakers somewhere? We should do it 2nd Tuesday Speaker Ideas
Social Media account update
- Taken over
- We have:
- Youtube - a few ideas
- 5 minute short, interview, area of expertise
- Youtube - a few ideas
- They need more content for the social media accounts.
- Taken over
- John Clark - Brads drone flythrough
- Maybe we can ask him to do another flythrough?
- Update the header image
Blog Post Planning
- TODO: Plan more blog posts
- Kostas: Made in Camp recap
- Will will ask Lisa: Needlecraft night
- TODO: We could use a Photo disclosure form to go w/ the social media
- Find a boilerplate one online, include it as part of new-member sign on, put it on the list of things we probably should ask existing members to sign, like the updated liability waiver
Agenda - New business
Gonna guess the 'task list' for this is going to look like:
- Agree on a design
- Solicit membership for designs.
- Paul will make a post in #discussion asking for shirt ideas. Use Will's fantastic design as motivation.
- Poll current membership for pre-orders // sizing
- Find a manufacturer. Our AC Fund shirts were made by Aaron Kent at DIY Printing
- Determine # of each size, and propose a vote to purchase the shirts
- Order the shirts
- We should always have shirts on hand, if we run low on sizes we immediately order more
- Maybe use shirts as rewards:
- You volunteered!
- You did something awesome!
- We could run contests
- AC shirts were about $8 / shirt
- We could sell for $10 - $12
- Jim wants us to use the Outreach fund to create things like this.
- It is marketing. So even if we 'lose' money on the shirts, we can count it as a marketing expense.
- It looks good at events when we are all wearing Hive shirts. It was nice @ made in camp that we were all wearing Hive shirts.
- Paul is going to make a post in the discussion channel asking for design ideas.
- Set a deadline ideas.
- Hopefully review designs next Outreach meeting.
- Coy has offered to make signs for us at no charge. Actually he has been bugging us for months to let him do this.
- He is in the process of making a better sign for the 3rd floor landing.
- Possible sign for outside, street door. We need to re-verify approval from landlord.
- John Clark:
- Coy has been pestering us about signs
- We are going to put a more appropriate sign on the landing
- Dave V. & John Clark want to confirm that a street level sign is ok.
- Don't want to offend the landlord & other tenants.
- Kostas: Sign might be in the lease agreement?
- John Clark:
- Lease is on the wiki, things were verbally agreed, but not in the lease
- In the past he has followed through on verbal agreements
- Finishing the bathroom still hasn't happened
- Other signs?
- List of donors for the AC fund
- Better signage around the hive
Wall of Fail
Maybe look into bringing back the Wall of Fail, and maybe pair it with a Brag Shelf. A place where you could show off interesting failures and a close shelf where you could show your successes.