Purgatory is a place things go before they leave the space permanently.
What is Purgatory?
Purgatory is as much of an idea as a place.
Not everything that comes in the door of the hive needs to stay at the hive forever. Things get abandoned. Things get brought in and left that really just aren't needed. People also sometimes leave things they really care about and need but get distracted by life and forget to deal with them. Purgatory exists as a place and time for things to gracefully exit the Hive. The goal of purgatory is to give people who leave things at the Hive a chance to pick them up, move them to personal storage or otherwise deal with them before they are thrown out while giving the COO, Wardens and Members a way of systematically removing clutter from the space.
Bottom line: The idea behind Purgatory is have a system that tries to balance the need to keep the space clean and free of clutter with the need to respect people's property.
Where are things stored?
Currently (January 2015) purgatory items are stored on a rack in square 3B, against the wall facing the street behind the seating for meeting area.
How long are things stored?
Officially, things have a minimum of one month that they must remain in purgatory before disappearing. See below for full procedure
What can be done with things in Purgatory?
After being announced to the membership and meeting the necessary waiting period, items in purgatory may be:
- Thrown out
- Used for a project at the space by any Member
- Taken away from the space by any Member
- Given to any non-member
- Removed from the space in any manner
Please do your best to be environmentally conscious when disposing of things: reuse first, recycle second, dispose in a safe manner third.
Full Procedure: Visual Purgatory
- Every month at the board meeting, someone will take a picture of the purgatory shelf and email it to the list.
- 30 days after an items picture is emailed to the list, items on the Purgatory shelf become fair game to leave the space.
- There is no guarantee that items will be disposed of immediately - they may stay longer than 30 days in Purgatory.
- Members may call "dibs" on an item in Purgatory by placing a note with their name and simply "dibs." This establishes that the person calling "dibs" is first in line to remove the item from the space in the event its original owner fails to claim it within the 30 day window.
- Before removing anything from Purgatory, Members must send a message to the list explaining what they took and the date they saw it in an emailed Visual Purgatory picture.
- Where possible, older Visual Purgatory pictures will be archived here.
- Items may not be removed from Purgatory and placed anywhere in the space, personal storage boxes excepted, without the approval of the COO or the warden in charge of the destination area. Items that were in Purgatory found back in the Hive without approval may be immediately discarded by anyone at any time for any reason, even if a member's name is on them.
- Hive property may be placed in Purgatory, too, by the Leadership or wardens. It should have a note attached stating it is fair game. Any member may immediately claim and remove it without wait.
Bottom line: you have 30 days to do something with items pictured in Visual Purgatory before they may disappear.
Visual Purgatory Archive
Old visual purgatory pictures here.