Snack Vending Machine

From Hive13 Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

You may be looking for the Drink Vending Machine.

Property "ProjectImage" (as page type) with input value "Image:SnackVendingMachine.JPG|200px" contains invalid characters or is incomplete and therefore can cause unexpected results during a query or annotation process.

Hive13 Project
Snack Vending Machine


Status: Planning
Start Date: August 10, 2009
End Date: August 29, 2009


PlayerTwo (Kris) donated a snack vending machine to the space. I needed to be repainted and still needs a coin accepting mechanism. Craig has repainted it and Paul is working on wet sanding it in preparation for a second coat of black paint.

Possible 2nd unit coming to the Hive for the purposes of vending craft and/or project supplies (Arduino from a vending machine, anyone?)


Current TODO List

  • Look into interfacing with a computer for web orders
  • Fill with more stuff, some suggestions:
    • Common Electrical components
      • Such as? LEDs?
    • Solder
    • Breadboard Wires, breadboards
    • PCB blanks
    • Makerbot Tokens

Work Log

August 10, 2009

Used a wet sponge to wipe off as much dust as possible, then went back over it with a shop towel and denatured alcohol to get the fine dust and fingerprints off. It is ready for its 2nd and final coat of paint.

Before and After as follows:

Before I cleaned After I cleaned it

August 27, 2009

I put the second coat of paint on the machine last night. I planned on starting at 7:00 and then leaving the hive at 9:00 pm. First I arrived later than planned (7:30 pm), then I found out that the locks had been replaced and in the process the masking newspaper had been torn up, so I re-masked off the front of the vending machine. After that I rotated it into a good looking position and did a final wipe down with the denatured alcohol to remove any sweaty handprints I might have just placed on it.

With everything in position I got out the spray gun, filled it with paint, and tried to do some trial sprays on a piece of cardboard. Barely a mist came out. So now, with the gun full of paint, I took off the front nozel and went over to the sink with my denatured alcohol. Here I discovered that the denatured alcohol is NOT a solvent for rustoleum paint. In any case, it worked better than the water so I used it to un-clog the nozzle. Ones the gun was re-assembled I did a few more test sprays on the cardboard and found it to be working fairly well. I think that in the future if we spray thick paint we should first get some paint thinner so we get a better coat.

After about 30-40 minutes I was done spray painting and the epic journey of cleaning the paint gun began. Let it suffice to say that this is when I really discovered that denatured alcohol is most certainly NOT a solvent for rustoleum paint, and that the Simple Green cleaning solution did a much better job. In the future, we should get some lacquer thinner for the space to help clean up paint related messes. Oh, and some pipe cleaner brushes to clean out the inside parts of the paint sprayer.

Service Manuals